Blood and Stars by Jaime Lee Mann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Blood and Stars by Jaime Lee Mann

Post by Jax14 »

Blood and Stars is the 5th book in the Legend of Rhyme series and is suitable for middle grade children.

Our heroes find themselves scattered:
Teagan is with Queen Starla in the Chamber of Memories hoping to find clues about her parents. When Starla is called away Teagan is lured by someone who promises more information about her parents. Can this someone be trusted since Krystal has a trap waiting? A trap and a diabolical plan between Krystal and her sisters to rid the sea of mer Queen Starla.
Ariana and Asher are separated with Asher and Elora trapped in the dark and an evil voice goading Asher into being a bad version of himself.
Ariana is in Coraira with Calla and is shocked to find she has received a crown to rule. Calla then falls under a protection spell, one which seems set to stay.
With Elora’s background no wonder no one can trust her, especially Larque, but as time is running out our heroes may have no choice.
Is there a solution for everyone or will our heroes find themselves in impossible situations? And as for Grindlerod – will he ever find the outcome he so desperately seeks?

This is another great chapter in the series and answers quite a few questions. The author promises no cliff hanger which she delivers, but the book ends well and still sets up for another story. I loved the way the book started with a poem that reminded you of what had happened in previous books and that poems were scattered throughout the book to summarise where you were or jog your memory as to what had been happening with the other characters. I like that the author doesn’t try to create too many tangents to the story at the same time so that concentration is not lost, especially considering the target age group for the series. It was interesting that the issue of mental illness was raised for this age group, but it’s never too early to start learning, understanding and empathising.

Not too much to negatively critique in this book, just a bit of a confusing moment when Larque was spelt Large and I had to reread the sentence a few times. I also felt that the battle with the ice dragons, even though it was necessary for the particular ending, felt a little random.

I enjoyed the story and recommend it for a good, quick and light read. Be prepared for a mix of happiness and sadness! Thanks to Netgalley and Blue Moon Publishers for the opportunity to review this.

Return to “Children's Books”