Official Review: Sunny Sandy's Rhyming Frenzy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Sunny Sandy's Rhyming Frenzy

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sunny Sandy's Rhyming Frenzy" by Angela Newman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most children's books are stories that stealthily sneak in a life lesson or two along the way, but sometimes it's good to read a book for fun. This is the case with Sunny Sandy's Rhyming Frenzy by Angela Newman, a fully-illustrated children's book full of silly, crazy rhymes.

Sunny Sandy loves to rhyme, in fact she does it all the time. Lines rhyme even when spoken by others as well, but Sunny Sandy doesn't rhyme quite as well. Although every word of hers rhymes technically the meaning of what she's saying isn't always easy to see. She makes it up as she goes along, but in her heart she can do no wrong.

If you'll notice from the above paragraph, Sunny Sandy has quite a way of inspiring everyone to rhyme! She says the silliest things as long as it rhymes and it drives everyone crazy, but it also brings a smile to their faces. That's the magic of rhyming, and while the book may not teach any actual life lessons it will teach kids a little about rhyming!

My only wish for the story itself was that it was longer. Watching Sunny Sandy rhyme such silly lines and seeing other folks react is what made it so great, especially Andy who spends about half of the book with her trying to convince her to stop. I would've loved more of this, although with it being a children's book it would've run the risk of going on too long and would've needed more illustrations.

Speaking of illustrations, they're magnificent! Illustrator Ananta Mohanta did a stellar job; the images are incredibly sharp, especially the people in them. Every page is entirely full of color, with the text in bubbles above the colorful images. Sunny Sally is very emotive and adorable, and the others are just as great. Andy's facepalms are legendary while Sunny Sally looks on with her puppy dog eyes.

While I would've liked more in the book, I did enjoy it very much. I can really see this being something fun and hilarious to read to kids! Andy mentions rhyme and meter in the book, but the book goes no deeper than that; if rhyming was somehow taught just a little bit more in the book itself I wouldn't hesitate to rate Sunny Sandy's Rhyming Frenzy a perfect 4, but as it is my official rating is 3 out of 4 stars. If your kid is a poet, whether they do or don't know it, or you just want to have some silly fun I'd definitely recommend this one.

Sunny Sandy's Rhyming Frenzy
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Return to “Children's Books”