Official Review: "My Sister, My Friend"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: "My Sister, My Friend"

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""My Sister, My Friend"" by Barbara Dominick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Sister, My Friend by Barbara Dominick follows Jill and her sometimes-turbulent relationship with her older sister, Chris. One day after school, Jill decides to stick around and play with the other school children who are involved in a snowball fight. Chris is less than impressed with Jill’s dirty appearance after the game and is eager to tell their mother about Jill’s ‘unladylike’ actions. As the two walk home, Jill can’t help but fret about the situation as she tries to convince Chris not to tell. However, Jill catches Chris in an unexpected situation that may give Jill the upper hand she was hoping for.

The message in this book is one about family and mutual understanding. The two main characters, Jill and Chris, realistically represent a sisterhood bond and the many ups and downs associated with the familial relationship. The portrayal of the conflict and subsequent resolution between the two is simple enough that the intended audience will be able to understand, but complicated enough for children to wonder how the story will unfold. Further, the narrative is told from Jill’s perspective. Though she is the younger sister, her point of view will translate well for children as well as younger adolescents. Her thoughts are complex, and her fears and actions are appropriate for her age. Jill and Chris will both be easy for children to connect with.

The balance between pictures and narrative in this book is unusual for a picture book. There are full page pictures in My Sister, My Friend, but there are significantly more pages with just words. That being said, the balance of the two works well. Older independent readers will feel challenged by the word length and find the pictures to be an engaging break from the narrative.

In My Sister, My Friend, the illustrations enrich the story of the two sisters, but they aren’t the main focus. The images are bright, eye-catching, and appear to be drawn at a level suitable for the intended audience. There isn’t an overwhelming amount of detail in each image, but there is enough to hold one’s interest while digesting the events that take place in the story.

Overall, there is nothing to dislike about this book, and nothing prevents me from rating My Sister, My Friend 4 out of 4 stars. The themes are classic, yet relevant; the characters are realistic, and the narrative perspective is relatable for the intended audience. The length of this book and the more mature message the author conveys to the reader make My Sister, My Friend suitable for independent readers with a good grasp of vocabulary and a basic understanding of complex themes. This book would most appeal to female readers between the ages of 6 and 10.

"My Sister, My Friend"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
larryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by larryn »

good work,love it.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I enjoyed reading your review very much. And you made me like the book just as much. Having two younger sisters, with huge age gaps between us, I believe this would be a great book for the youngest.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I can always relate to books about sisters. I think I will like this one too.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a really great book. I know so many times sisters don't get along to begin with and then go on to have great relationships. Lovely review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Locha

Post by Locha »

Feels like a great book but the story line is too common and done by many authors before........t
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

It's hard to achieve the balance between an enjoyable read and complex themes in a children's book. From your review, it looks like Barbara Dominick achieves this balance. Good job!
-rk
danzkies

Post by danzkies »

This is ridiculous! I was hoping for something thrill, I mean a plot twist and you can have a proper or not likely a sudden conclusion but come on! the title says it all along.
AdrianSW
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by AdrianSW »

Wonderfully written. It gives the reader a beautiful picture of familial bond. Would recommend to others.

-- 10 Jul 2017, 01:42 --
Taher

Post by Taher »

Absolutely good.I hope that you will become great writer.I believe that everyone will admire your writing.
Wena23

Post by Wena23 »

It was a really a nice story and I know everyone and their siblings can relate.
khadijat
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khadijat.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by khadijat »

Thanks. Your review shows the book is a great one. I will love to read it
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

This is a great review! I'm always on the lookout for quality children's books.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Edwin Omwoyo

Post by Edwin Omwoyo »

The review is great. Looking a head to read the story.
The Daniyal Aziz

Post by The Daniyal Aziz »

So true ,,as i know myself how sisters are the bestest friend we ever had

Return to “Children's Books”