Official Review: I'm Running Away! by Lisa Beere

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: I'm Running Away! by Lisa Beere

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm Running Away!" by Lisa Beere.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'm Running Away! is a short, illustrated children's book about the pains of being a middle child. Told in rhyming couplets the story follows Sam, a boy who simply never gets any attention from his family. When he can't take it anymore, he decides to run away immediately!

After Sam decides to run away, he has to figure out what he needs to pack. A backpack doesn't have much space for packing, so Sam has to be selective, but not so selective he can pass up his share of the toy cars or his height chart that shows off his growth. He wants cookies and milk too but ponders how to put milk in a backpack. On his way out the door he's caught and ends up receiving a surprise that makes him feel special, leading him to change his mind about running away.

The idea of running away to make a point is one that I can personally relate to very well. I grew up in Chicago where public transportation could get you anywhere you wanted to go. With such an easy way to get fun places (like the mall) I too decided to run away. I didn't want to run forever, just a few days, and took only my backpack (like Sam!). After a few hours of boredom I felt bad and returned home, returning at the same time my father did when he was out looking for me. Things went about as expected - he was far more elated to see me than angry I left, and I felt so bad about doing it that I never thought about it again. The reason I mention all of this is that when Sam says "When they notice I'm gone, what will they say?", I 100% relate to it. These 9 words pack a lot of punch, and they brought me back to my teens when I did the same. While the book is short (12 pages each of alternating images and text), it packs a lot of emotion and a good lesson.

I enjoyed the art in I'm Running Away! as well. Illustrated by Lynn Costelloe, all the art in the book is clearly hand-drawn. It also pulls off matching emotions with the text from author Lisa Beere, highlighting Sam's loneliness as his siblings get all of the attention from his parents. The writing is also done well, and the rhyming flow of the writing is done well. Between the art and the rhymes it's very fitting for reading to young ones and showing off the images. The recommended age on Amazon is listed as 3-8 years old which is perfect both for the way this book is written and for the ages that seem most likely to have a new sibling added to the family.

Above all, I'm Running Away! is the perfect book for a middle child. Middle Child Syndrome is a real, studied thing that many middle children experience as they feel ignored and grow resentful and jealous of their siblings. Lisa, the author, also mentions that she wrote this book to help parents with any child going through the "adjustment period" of a new sibling, like when she had her own second child. A child who is used to getting all of the attention can have just as much trouble, or even more, when a new baby is brought into the family. In these situations, I highly recommend I'm Running Away!. My official rating of the book is 4 out of 4 stars, although I wish Sam would've been able to run away for a bit to show that successfully running away isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I'm Running Away!
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

As a first born child I feel middle children complain too much (especially my baby sister). However I can also relate to this book. Your enjoyment of the book shines through the review. thank you for the enthusiastic review!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
JOELEKURI
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by JOELEKURI »

Yeah, this story sure got my full attention and am laughing loud, i really know and understand the story to which the author of this novel is conveying and it really is a common issue i myself am a middle child and i put myself in the shoe of sam and if i too had my way i would do much more but not supporting his idea of being a prodigal son.
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

I am the third of 6 children so I'm sort of the middle child. However, I had a long time being the last child. I just don't know what it means to be the first child though. This book interests me. Great review!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
pepz
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by pepz »

hello: I understand the way they acted of the pitty boy who would decided to running away of their own home even their family love them just because they need another or especial attention of their father and mother

-- 08 Jul 2017, 21:07 --

that age being as a teenager its simply sometimes they want freedom by exploring their lives
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

Sounds like an interesting book, I am a middle child so I will be able to relate to Sam. I also have three children so I can see the middle child perspective through her eyes also.
pepz
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by pepz »

running away their is a lots of reason especially when your in danger even at your own place .decide to go away by some reason
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

I would love to know more about Sam's life. I have a kid by the name Sam too, this book will be on my shelf soonest
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

It seems like an interesting and helpful book for children and parents. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Children's Books”