Official Review: Adam and Eve by Laura Lipari

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Adam and Eve by Laura Lipari

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adam and Eve" by Laura Lipari.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Religion isn't typically very fun for kids. Going to church, staying still, being quiet, listening to a bunch of big words they don't even understand... It all adds up to children (like myself when I was younger) treating their faith as an obligation, not a blessing. In Adam and Eve: Grandma Shares Her Faith Book 1, author Laura Lipari takes on the task of explaining the story of Adam and Eve to 5 of her grandchildren, a dog, a cat and a parrot that frequently interjects things like "praise the Lord!", "Amen!" or "good bird!"

What makes this story so unique is the way it's told. This isn't some dry retelling of one of the most famous Biblical stories, it greatly succeeds as its own story. The five grandkids - Marie, Loren, Jade, Desy and Angela from youngest to oldest - are full of personality. Marie and Loren often argue with one another while Grandma plays referee, and the younger kids often need concepts like God's omnipotence explained to them. The dialogue between the kids is charming and incredibly real; I wouldn't be surprised if the characters were based on Laura's real family.

Because Grandma interacts with the grandkids so much, the story of Adam and Eve is far from the only topic covered. The kids discuss their dislike of church, the Bible in general, what a soul is, why God rested on the 7th day of Creation and more. The topics are all handled masterfully; Grandma doesn't force them to blindly believe and even encourages questions, and at the end of the book when the concept of evolution is raised Grandma doesn't dismiss it.

The book is less than 50 pages and only has one image, a coloring page before the story begins that shows Granny with the five kids. Because Grandma explains everything so well it works both as a book for a parent to read to their kids or as a book for a child to read on their own. The way the grandkids ask so any questions and Grandma answers them is both educational and opens up the way for kids to ask questions of their own. I found only 5 errors throughout the book, meaning there was only one error every 10 or so pages.

I really enjoyed Adam and Eve: Grandma Shares Her Faith Book 1. The series promises to be excellent if Laura can keep it up, and her 102(!!) years of life experience shine in the pages. I'd give this book 5 stars if I could, but since the max is 4 I'll have to give it a mere 4 out of 4 stars. If you have kids who could use a lesson in the Bible, I couldn't recommend a book more than this one.

Adam and Eve
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Frederick Eguavoen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Frederick Eguavoen »

I like this book base on the easy way of understanding that the writer use.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds like an interesting book to read through. Perhaps it gives some good answers for today's children! Thanks for the review.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

Wow! The sounds interesting, I am tempted to think I could have enjoyed it so much if I were a child. Kudos for such a review!
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Amazing review! What I like best is how engaging the conversation is. This goes a long way to show that religion could be fun for kids if everything is well explained. Thanks
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

Awesome review. This book sounds lovely.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Yator Ronald
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Yator Ronald »

The book has a well articulated story of Adam and eve generation. It builds ones Faith and depicts about importance of obedience and wrath of disobedience to God.
Moniboo7

Post by Moniboo7 »

Great review.. book was simple and straight forward .. loved it
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Talking of religion is what i love, Thanks for the review.........just adding the book to my shelves right away.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

this is a book i would enjoy reading with my niece :D
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I'm glad you liked this one so much! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dj Hoodrich
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Dj Hoodrich »

I really enjoyed Adam and Eve, I'd give it 5 Star
Baramet

Post by Baramet »

It is a super review, I have liked the book already!!
Rhando
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhando.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by Rhando »

Wow from the way your review is well written, I think Adam and Eve will be my next read. Nice work.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Wow! This book sounds superb! Nowadays, the world is full of ideas such as the evolution, descended from apes, agnosticism, etc. that it makes kids confuse about whether Adam and Eve existed or not. I'm glad this author speaks about this topic with children so openly. I'll get this book to read it to my nephews and use it in my classes as well. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”