Featured Official Review: Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Featured Official Review: Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first book in a series, Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco is a fantastic beginning to this children’s and young adult fantasy story.

Lara has waited all twelve years of her life to go to magic school. She knows she will be changed forever as she is assessed to see what talents she has with magic. Little does she know just how much her life is about to change. Lara must learn to control her magic and deal with bullies as she makes friends and excels in her lessons.

There are evil forces at work in the world of Azmantium, forces that headmistress Aelwen has been trying to protect Lara from all her life. However, the time is coming where all secrets will be revealed. Aelwen only hopes she can keep it from being revealed to the wrong people.

This is a fun book with a lot of fantasy elements and adventure. The story moves at a good pace with just enough detail. It is not too long which makes it easy for younger readers to finish easily. This first book is mostly an introduction to the way the world of Azmantium works and getting familiar with the main characters. I think it is a great start to the series because it left me wanting more at the end. Part of me feels like I need to read the second book to really get a good feel for the entire series.

My one issue with this book is that it is similar to Harry Potter in many ways. I actually see it as a female version of the story. However, considering the end of the book, I believe the rest of the books in this series will take a turn away from being like Harry Potter. For this reason, readers may find it worthwhile to read even if they don’t normally like it when books have similarities to other books.

Although Dragon Born is not the most original book, it is fun to read. I recommend it to people who enjoy Harry Potter and do not mind reading a similar storyline. It is well written and the story kept my attention all the way through. I am interested to see what will happen in the next book which is something many series fail to capture me on. For all those reasons, I give Dragon Born a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Dragon Born
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even if this does resemble the Harry Potter series, I know many that would still want to read it. I'll be interested in seeing how the rest of the series turns out. If it truly does stray away from that plot line. Still, it sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Yep, it sounds like the typical fantasy book. I'm interested though in finding out why a head mistress would protect a student even before the student starts attending their school. Thanks for the review, its very clear and straightforward :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I think it would be interesting to read a female version of Harry Potter. I would like to read how Lara uses magic to deal with bullies. Nice review.
Bernadette nyandiga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bernadette nyandiga »

It sounds moreless like Harry Potter's series. I'd like to sè how it end and inviting others to read it. It seems intresting.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Like Harry Potter - not bad. Great review.
ebolen01
Currently Reading: Succubus Blues
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ebolen01 »

I love young adult fiction, and Harry Potter, so this book sounds like it would be a great fit for me. The only downside I see is having to wait to read the rest of the series! Thank you for your review, I will definitely be adding this book to my "Must Read" list.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

Being compared favorably with a book that was as loved as the Harry Potter series can't possibly be a bad thing. The premise, the cover and this review just made this book all the more compelling. I think I might just get it. Thanks for such a detailed review.
bfergusonwpg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 222">Blood Crime</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 679
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfergusonwpg.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by bfergusonwpg »

I'm not somebody who is much interested inbooks that are mainly aiming for commerical success. I concede I find the original Harry Potter series more intriguing than most things in supernatural genres. The reviewe ir conveys nicely that the technical construction of the book is pretty good though, so I would file this under something I might suggest to other people, young people in particular, though I'm unlikely to read myself.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

As I was reading through this review, I was just waiting for the reviewer to make a comment about the lack of originality! Glad you pointed that out though... Although this sounds fun and interesting, as an adult who has read this book hundreds of times, I'm going to have to pass! Great review!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think I would actually enjoy the female version of Harry Potter. It sounds pretty cool. I will admit though, I hate when a book completely adapts the plot and characters of another book. So despite the similarities, I hope the author gave this book some originality. We already have JK Rowling, we don't need another one.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Well, I do like Harry Potter, so it's reasonable to believe that I would like this book, too. Thanks for the lovely review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Reading the description I thought, "Wow, sounds like Harry Potter!" But, hey, I definitely enjoyed Harry Potter and this book looks very interesting. I'll have to give it a read!
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

It might not be that similar to Harry Potter if the main similarity is a wizard school since that kind of books existed long before Potter. I think it will be an interesting book, perhaps not the next big sensation but rather a quick (but enjoyable) weekend read. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

Hi, Rachael, did the similarities to Harry Potter make the book boring, or was it interesting in its own way? Did its world have its own unique things in it?
* *I miss snow!* *

Return to “Children's Books”