Matilda by Roald Dahl (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Matilda by Roald Dahl (spoilers)

Post by Storygamer88 »

I'm a big fan of Dahl's work, their whimsical nature, the storytelling and general fun and magic his tales weave, and I recently re-read Matilda. As some may tell from my avatar picture, I liked Matilda a lot.

Who else read/liked this? Part of me wishes there were a sequel because after rereading and finishing it, I found myself wondering what happened to characters like the Trunchbull and Matilda's family, and how her life with Miss Honey changes her and what Matilda accomplishes as a grown up.

I guess we won't ever get a true sequel, but I think its fun to imagine "What if...?" sometimes.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I have not read the book yet, only watched the movie. Seeing as this is one of the most loved childrens stories I dont know why I have taken so long. I love how the story ended. I think if she had grown up in the book it would have taken away some of the magic, because she never got to be a child with her parents. In a sense she was the grownup.
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Zupanatural »

I was more into James & the Giant Peach and George's Marvellous Medicine but, to be honest, all of Roald Dahl's books were/are magical. I definitely need to hunt down a full box set of them for my son :)
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Matilda was always my favourite and I loved the movie when I was younger. I do agree with Londera that to have her grow up in the book may have taken away some of the magic.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Jabulile Mahlangu 1
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Esther ekunola
Bookshelf Size: 22
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Jabulile Mahlangu 1 »

Nothing can never come close to what is perfectly described in these pages.Dahl was my introduction to falling in love with fiction and this was the very book in particular.

Matilda. A girl who happens to be exceptionally smart was unfortunately surrounded by parents who are not as independent. His father happens to be a car sales man , a crook who rigs milleages and speedometers on the car for a higher price. They also had a son who was not so far off from the father's traits as well as a glamorous mother.

Matilda's love for books started while she was a mere toddler. She opened her very own library card and taught herself how knowledge can weaponise her. Her father one day, who prided himself with the purchase of a television, was offended by Matilda who was reading while everyone else was watching. He asked her what she was reading and my oh my did she not say Mobi Dick.To his dismay he tore the library book apart.

We all thought her being enrolled to a primary school would make her life so much better but not quiet. The principal, Miss Trunchbull who happens to be the aunt of the sweetest mother figure to Matilda, Miss Honey, was not going to allow it. School became socially difficult while some were moved to the chokey others were dragged by pigtails all across the school yard.

Her ability to move things around without touching them became a very useful skill .It was more of a survival instinct. This ofcourse made her the hero of every day and like all childrens books there was a happy ending.

Re reading this after so many years was a delight. Dahl is truly artistic for this award winning piece. We learn here how education is very important and how so unfortunate the parents were to be so stupid as to sign off a dime like Matilda away to a teacher like that. A 5 out of 5 rating .

Return to “Children's Books”