Official Review: Here and There, Loving You Always

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Here and There, Loving You Always

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Here and There, Loving You Always" by Beverly Reynolds.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Here and There Loving You Always by Beverly Reynolds is an illustrated children’s book about a boy who was adopted at birth via an open adoption. It is written from the perspective of his biological mother. Although she gave him up for adoption, the woman explains that she loves him and that his adoptive parents love him, too. The story is written completely in rhyme with illustrations on alternate pages. The author was inspired to write this book by her own experiences adopting a child.

It is not explicitly stated what the descriptions of the boy’s life are based on. The birth mother is able to enjoy such milestones as the child learning his ABC’s and numbers, a first puppy, getting the lead part in a play, etc. I assume she keeps track of these occurrences from afar, but it’s not too clear. Does she actually have any physical interactions with the child or has she been keeping abreast of his progress through letters and photos from the adoptive parents?

The text is easy to follow with four short lines of text on each page. There is just enough detail to make the book interesting while still keeping a nice, rhythmic flow. The author illustrated the story with colorful and unique pictures that have the look of modern paintings. I also think kids would love the large, whimsical font used for the text, which is displayed against a bright orange background.

I was surprised to read in the Amazon summary that the book is geared toward readers who are eight to twelve years old. Based on the simplicity of the writing, short rhyming text, and picture book style, I think the target audience is more appropriately four to seven year olds. Certainly, an older child might also enjoy reading this story; however, I think kids ages eight and up are usually more interested in chapter books with a plot rather than rhyming picture books.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The premise of the story is wonderful and the emotions leap off the pages. I wouldn’t have hesitated to give the highest rating if it was clearer how the birth mother was keeping track of the boy’s life. I would recommend this book for adopted children as a symbol that they are surrounded by love from their birth, as well as adoptive, parents. It would also be a good choice for young readers who enjoy picture books written in rhyme.

Here and There, Loving You Always
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a good book for adopted children and adoptive parents, especially as it is written from the perspective of a biological mother. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I also think that this is an excellent book for adoptive children. I love that the book is in the perspective of the birth mother and explores her feelings. It's great for children to be able to read and try to understand why a parent may make certain choices but that the child is still loved. This is a great book that can be discussed within adoptive families too.

Great Review! ??
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali and Amagine! I really liked the premise of the biological mother emphasizing how much she will always love the child, even though she gave him up.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds like poetry enthusiasts such as me will enjoy this. Great review.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like it could have a good message for certain kids who have been adopted or just introducing the concept of adoption. It does sound like it's more geared toward your readers though. Thanks for a thorough review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
excel247
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by excel247 »

The book is emotions packed but appeals more to adopted or orphaned children and parents.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I agree that the book is a nice way to introduce the concept of adoption to kids.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Wow, this is definitely a topic I don't think is explored enough in children's books! Even for children who aren't adopted, it would be good for them to read a book like this so they could empathize with any children they may meet who are adopted. Very interesting review; I'm really glad the author's illustrations and emotions were well received.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks MarisaRose! I think adoption used to be one of those secrets many people didn't talk about. Nowadays it's more acceptable for parents and children to be more open and proud about it. That a good thing! It's nice to see a children's book that emphasizes that an adopted child is surrounded by love not only from his adoptive parents, but his biological mother.
Abdikadir haji
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdikadir haji »

review here and there, the book is amazing. I would recommend for children especially the adopted ones. I also liked the biological mother's concern and how she was keeping tabs on her child's whereabouts. it's interesting book.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It is nice to have more and more children's books exploring topics that were once secrets and weren't really talked about. Like you, not knowing how the biological was keeping track of her son would also leave me curious, but it does seem like a good way to talk about adoption to children. Thank you, bookowlie, for the insightful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

It sounds like the author has written an important book for adoptive parents and children. Thanks for your review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

The book sounds like an attractive book for the kids because it has illustrations and pictures. However for the adults who will read the book, it seems like hanging because it has no complete story between the biological mother and the kid.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Moniquejm and Spirit Wandering for taking the time to read my review and post a comment. Moniquejm - since the book is a children's book, it's not really an issue whether adults might like the book.

Return to “Children's Books”