Official Review: My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighti...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighti...

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness" by Carla Norde' and LoLo Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“All of us must help to prevent bullying. We must learn to be kind to one another. Kindness is the new cool!” – Carla Norde and Lolo Smith, My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness
Bullying is something that can negatively affect children’s lives. Bullying can hurt children’s feelings, affect their self-esteem and leave a lasting impact on them. It is for this reason that I applaud children’s books that tackle the issue of bullying. My Doll and Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness by Carla Norde and Lolo Smith is a book that champions fighting bullying with positive interactions.

My Doll and Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness is a non-fiction children’s book that defines bullying in simple terms while also providing ways to combat it. The book is filled with colorful and well-drawn illustrations of girls dressed like famous superheroes with dolls at their side. Alongside those illustrations are different facts about bullying. The text addresses the four types of bullying; verbal, physical, social and cyber bullying. It goes on to explain each type and how each type can hurt someone. There are many other facts about bullying that are given as well. The book also contains different tips to fight bullying with kind actions and a pledge that children can make against bullying.

I feel that this book should read in every classroom and home. Even though it is non-fiction, the information given was written in a concise and simple way so that young readers can comprehend it. I loved the illustrations, but I would’ve preferred if the characters in the book would have been more diverse in terms of ethnicity. Bullying can happen to anyone, no matter your gender, race or beliefs. I would’ve preferred if the illustrations could have better reflected that fact.

If I had to name another negative about the book it would be that I felt it was a little too factual. While the facts about bullying were very important and every child should learn them, I believe that some children might be entertained by the illustrations, but become bored with the content. I felt the content should have been presented in a more entertaining way that will catch and maintain a child’s attention. While the image of a girl dressed up like Batgirl is nice, it is not the main point of the book. The images overpower the text in the book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The negatives are that I wish the illustrations were more diverse and that the content of the book was presented in a more interesting fashion. Despite the negatives, I still believe that this a great book that can be read between a group of friends or between an adult and child. As I mentioned earlier, bullying is an issue that has affected children in the past and will continue to impact them in the future. Children need to know that the bullying can be fought with kindness. I believe this book will be an enlightening read to a young reader.

My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness
View: on Bookshelves

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think we could use more books about bullying. While they won't solve the problem, maybe they can open up discussions. It's too bad that the illustrations weren't more diverse. Maybe the book can go through another round of editing? Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! It's always nice to see anti-bullying books that promote positive interactions. You made a really good point about the story not being entertaining enough for a child, due to the focus on the facts. I agree that there should be more diversity shown in the images of the characters when discussing this topic.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:I think we could use more books about bullying. While they won't solve the problem, maybe they can open up discussions. It's too bad that the illustrations weren't more diverse. Maybe the book can go through another round of editing? Thanks for the review.
I agree! This book would be great in a classroom and would open up a lot of discussion topics!

Thanks for reading! :D

-- 31 May 2017, 11:29 --
bookowlie wrote:Great review! It's always nice to see anti-bullying books that promote positive interactions. You made a really good point about the story not being entertaining enough for a child, due to the focus on the facts. I agree that there should be more diversity shown in the images of the characters when discussing this topic.
Yes, I feel that any children's book that talks openly about such a universal concern in our world, should have diverse characters.

Thanks for reading, bookowlie! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Nice review! I enjoyed your suggestions, and I'm glad to hear that a book like this exists.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Interesting twist in using superheroes to boost children's self image as a way to deter bullying. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading, everyone! :D

Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I totally understand what you mean by the girls could have been more varied - I did not spot a black girl nor a Latina girl on the cover - I am both black and Latino so I look out for my peeps.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Jaime Lync wrote:Great review. I totally understand what you mean by the girls could have been more varied - I did not spot a black girl nor a Latina girl on the cover - I am both black and Latino so I look out for my peeps.
:lol2:

Thanks for reading, Jaime! :D

Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Bullying is a good theme for children's books since the habit starts from childhood, and children are also the main targets of bullies. This book seems to do justice to the topic, and the dolls and pictures make it all the more appealing to children. Kudos for the review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading! ?

John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

I really enjoyed your review. Would have also liked more racial diversity in this...
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you so much for reading! ?

sheilajepkoech
Currently Reading: Severed Threads
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by sheilajepkoech »

Wish to read this
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading! ?

Return to “Children's Books”