Official Review: The Very Loving Caterpillar by Sean Browne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Official Review: The Very Loving Caterpillar by Sean Bro

Post by bookowlie »

Elaine5 wrote:Sounds like a good one! My own kids are likely a bit too old for this one but I love children's books so it's always nice to find a new one.
My kids are also past the age for picture books, but it's still a very cute story!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Purkledaisy
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Purkledaisy »

This was the first review I chose to read as a new member. The Very Loving Caterpillar continues to pop up as a suggestion for me to read on Kindle. Granted the majority of my suggestions are based on my daughters choice of books. I enjoyed your review and it has helped to direct me in my future reviews. I will also be getting the book to add to my library. I feel like I must defend the language used in the book. My daughter is in the 2nd grade and reads at a 4th grade level. I firmly believe she has achieved this feat by reading books with the "big words" as we call them. In fact she was the only child in her play that could say the "big words" such as sophisticated and simulation, thus resulting in her obtaining a leading role in the production. As my mom friend once told me, "If you want your 7 year old to read at a higher level, don't stop her at the books for her age group. Keep encouraging her to go further."
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great and thoughtful review, bookowlie! I like how you pointed out that "...the blend of fact and fantasy is that it might confuse a child." Especially when children are that young, you don't want to expose them to things that may not be real, and they can't understand that it isn't. Also, like you, I would have liked for the caterpillar to have an actual name. However, it does seem like a cute story, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it despite some things.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Purkledaisy wrote:This was the first review I chose to read as a new member. The Very Loving Caterpillar continues to pop up as a suggestion for me to read on Kindle. Granted the majority of my suggestions are based on my daughters choice of books. I enjoyed your review and it has helped to direct me in my future reviews. I will also be getting the book to add to my library. I feel like I must defend the language used in the book. My daughter is in the 2nd grade and reads at a 4th grade level. I firmly believe she has achieved this feat by reading books with the "big words" as we call them. In fact she was the only child in her play that could say the "big words" such as sophisticated and simulation, thus resulting in her obtaining a leading role in the production. As my mom friend once told me, "If you want your 7 year old to read at a higher level, don't stop her at the books for her age group. Keep encouraging her to go further."
Thanks Purkledaisy and welcome to the forums - I love your fun username. :) I can definitely see your point about the advanced words in the book. The reason I mentioned it was because the style of the book seems more suitable for very young children. By the time a child is in 2nd grade, I think they would be more interested in reading other types of books. I agree with you that many children improve their reading comprehension by reading books with advanced words. I just think, at the very beginning stages (ages 3-6), having too many advanced words in a book can be a source of frustration, even if the book is read to them.

-- 25 May 2017, 09:12 --
hsimone wrote:Another great and thoughtful review, bookowlie! I like how you pointed out that "...the blend of fact and fantasy is that it might confuse a child." Especially when children are that young, you don't want to expose them to things that may not be real, and they can't understand that it isn't. Also, like you, I would have liked for the caterpillar to have an actual name. However, it does seem like a cute story, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it despite some things.
Thanks Hsimone for the nice feedback! I think kids can relate better to a character who have a given name vs. a description ("very loving").
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I love that children's books are included every now and then for BOTD. :-) Your review was so good! I never would have thought about the confusion the fantasy element might cause with kids. (I guess that's why I teach HS instead of elementary...hehee!). Also, I like that you mention the craft...so much fun! Overall, I'm looking forward to reading this book to my nephew, since he is the perfect age. I'm excited to take a look at the illustrations that others have mentioned, too. Thanks again, @bookowlie! :-)
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

The cover is so cute. I bet the illustrations inside are also pretty. It seems like a nice book to share with the little ones to teach about the environment and to spark their creativity as well. Thanks for the great review.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I understand your points about the rushed ending, the sophisticated words and the nameless character. Thank You for the honest and well written review.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I like the cover and I like the message it is trying to send. I think that will be something good for children to read and would even have my children read it. I think it needs a better title. It is too similar to The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
raizenagallo
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raizenagallo.html
Latest Review: "A Case of Black Rock Mineral Water" by Simon Marshland

Post by raizenagallo »

I also loved the illustrations in this book and the heartwarming story is suitable for my 3-year-old daughter. Your review is excellent and I agree that it would help the child remember the story more if the main character has a name. Would love to read this to my little bookworm.
Latest Review: "A Case of Black Rock Mineral Water" by Simon Marshland
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

The art work on the cover caught my eye. Nice review! It sounds like something young children will enjoy. Hopefully the advanced word choices won't keep them from understanding the story.
ABUBAKAR HARUNA
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ABUBAKAR HARUNA »

the story shows how the caterpillars developed into butterflies
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

Yay! A children's book educating kids on love and harmony. What better way to celebrate today :) I totally agree with the illustrations. The better they are, the more kids like to have it read to them again.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Nice review. I enjoy children books that have a few 'harder' words or phrases, because it challenges the children. Too young to read, the parents are reading and explaining as they go and mostly pay attention to the pictures. As they get older and read the book themselves it challenges the child. Speaking to children with 'harder' words and phrases helps the child grow. If we always used 'simple' or 'baby' words their language would stay that way.

The cover is amazing and catches the eyes of the children and adults.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

Thanks for the simple but clear review! I have downloaded my copy and will recommend it to my young niece. For sure she'll enjoy this book and will learn a lot of lessons. Congrats on BOTD!
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree that the artwork in this book is what really makes it standout! Such a fun and thoughtful book for children and parents to share.

Return to “Children's Books”