Official Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Ann M. Hannon is an illustrated children's book. Puffy is a kitten who strays far from home when he comes upon what he thinks is another 'kitten'.This 'kitten' is actually a baby skunk who sprays Puffy and makes him stinky. Puffy races back home and his owner gives him a bath to remove the smell.

I think this is a cute story and I think it would make a wonderful bedtime story. When Puffy meets the strange ‘kitten’, he flees and returns home. From this scene, kids are able to see the dangers in exploring by themselves and meeting strangers. I think this book touches on a great topic about knowing what to do if you are by yourself and meet a stranger. I think this book is a great way for parents to talk to their kids about stranger danger.

The illustrations were hand drawn and I think they add a nice touch to the story. The illustrations cover the whole page and there are eight illustrated pages that make up the fifteen page book. I really like the picture of where Puffy is fleeing from the skunk, because you can tell that Puffy got some of the stink on him.
There were some big words like ‘obscene’ and ‘formidable’ that the author used. The author included these words to “ encourage a rich vocabulary”. I think that this is ok if parents are reading it with their kids, but kids who are reading it by themselves will definitely struggle with reading and understanding this book. However, I liked how the author included rhyming words in the story as it helps kids to identify what rhyming words are.

The author also included a coloring page for children to color. I thought this was a wonderful way to get kids more involved with the story.

The only thing that I didn't like about this book was that there was a few grammatical errors. For example, ‘Puffy’ wasn't capitalized on one page.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. If it wasn't for the few grammatical errors that I saw, I would have given it a 4 out of 4 stars. I think this is a great book for parents to read to their children at night. I recommend this book to kids from three to eleven years old, provided that they have someone to explain the meaning of some words.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love that even though it is a children's book, the author adds in rich words to increase children's vocabulary. It's amazing all the different things children can learn simply by reading a book!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Amagine wrote:I love that even though it is a children's book, the author adds in rich words to increase children's vocabulary. It's amazing all the different things children can learn simply by reading a book!

Great Review! ?
Thank you!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds adorable and the moral lesson in this book is important to not just children but people of all age ranges. I also think that the coloring page sounds like a great addition. I am in my 20s and I want to buy a coloring book and crayons just for fun. Great review.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Jaime Lync wrote:This sounds adorable and the moral lesson in this book is important to not just children but people of all age ranges. I also think that the coloring page sounds like a great addition. I am in my 20s and I want to buy a coloring book and crayons just for fun. Great review.
Thanks!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

The book looks adorable, thank you for the great review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Nice review. I read this book myself, and I wasn't a huge fan of the way it was laid out, but I enjoyed the illustrations as well.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I agree to your point about the errors. They detract from an otherwise entertaining reading of the book.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars myself. Feel free to check out my review when you have time.

Return to “Children's Books”