Official Review: Out Loud by Luz Agudelo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mickiee
Currently Reading: Laiden's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 55

Re: Official Review: Out Loud by Luz Agudelo

Post by Mickiee »

The art work is really appropriate & eye catching. The story is well addressed to the age group. Great job on being #botd
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I think it is important that a book deals with issues like bullying. It helps kids understand what is right and wrong.
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

Like any mummy I’m collecting good books that are useful for a child development. I would add this book to my collection certainly. :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you for such a clear, detailed and interesting review! :tiphat:
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
Ceciltrixiedom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =164903">A Very Secret Affair</a>
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ceciltrixiedom »

Great book for children. The cover shows it. Bullying is the main problem among them so by reading this book, they can be aware of the "what" and "why" of bullying and that they will learn to avoid it. Reading sample pages is very interesting.Very good review also.
MontyQ
Currently Reading: Kushiel's Dart
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-montyq.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B01AZ7LT20

Post by MontyQ »

Sounds like a good kids book that addresses in a less black and white manner. I like that it makes a point that being on how to stand up to your aggressor without becoming them yourself. The villainous backstory not only works to give our characters an understanding of the bully and how to prevent it, but also as a side allegory for pollution.
It addresses these issues appropriately for the age group- i mean what kid doesnt like colorful books?
Thank you for the review!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
olaiya oluwafemi
Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaiya-oluwafemi.html

Post by olaiya oluwafemi »

Sounds very interesting. One of the book that can teach enlighten people. Thanks for the great review.
mstates
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by mstates »

This book teaches a lot about bullying.i love it.looking foward to reading it n sharing to others.
bica
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65953">Out Loud</a>
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by bica »

CataclysmicKnight, I think your review of Out Loud is very good and complete, because you point out that the book is about bullfighting in school, as well as, being respecful for the environment on the beaches. Two serious problems to be faced in schools and also ecologically. I liked the illustrations, too. It is interesting that Luz Agudelo has come up with such a stubborn topic of rhyming, because the book could be adapted to perform a joint activity for the language and music class, where the students could sing it as if it were a rap song. I think it would be fun for students to sing or interpret it as a rhymed theater, as it was done in medieval times.
NICA ALBERT RANCES
Currently Reading: They'll Never Die
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by NICA ALBERT RANCES »

Very presice and awesome book. Bullying is a serious topic nowadays and needed to be addressed in different ways such as this. It would capture children's attention too CataclysmicKnight
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

When I first learned that this was a book for older children I was initially put off. But when I found out that the topic is about bullying, well it made me interested enough to read it! Back in the 60's during the first day in 1st year high school, I was immediately bullied by one of my new classmates. When we rose to greet the teacher, this new classmate pulled my chair away from me so that when I sat, I fell to the floor. everyone who saw it were giggling. But when I stood up and hit him on the chin, my new classmate fell down. Now everyone was laughing at what happened to him. It's a good thing the teacher did not see it! We ended up good friends!
Chandre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandre.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Chandre »

What a great way to pinpoint on something that's constantly happening. Well done on book of the day.
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I like the Out Loud by Luz Agudelo book as it is great to help teach children greater values in a unique way. The photo work is magnificent.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bullying is indeed a monster that afflicts children everywhere in the world. The effects are carried by the tormented kids way into adulthood. We need more books like this discussed in schools where most of the bullying incidents happen.

The use of the trash monster is also great as kids get to feel the frightening effects of polluting our water resources.
Kristine Jewel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kristine Jewel »

The book, Out Loud by Luz Agudelo is a clear illustration of real life situations. As it is, the drawings that served as the picture of events was a good indication that may refer to school kids as it is attached at a notebook-like design at the side. The start of it's story is wonderful view since the two kids was playing at first then heard a cry for help and so they got curious and hurried where the noise was coming from, in real life situations, this happens as well but what is next is the unpredictable one. The author did a great job at creating the next scenes as the trash seemed to indicate what people set aside and just throw away after it is used. The gull was then showed to be the subject of abuse of the skull or trash monster as it bullies and orders him around which he doesn't really like, at schools, may it be primary or secondary this was showed to happen a lot of times as the number of bullying victims increases most of the time. The idea was splendid as it shows that victims should go ask for help and start voicing out their thoughts as a start for their pains to come to an end. The children tried to help and tell the skull that he was wrong but afterwards they ran away because it ended chasing them and trying to make them his next prey. This scene was highly appropriate for those who wants to help but is also scared because after running away, the two came back when they heard the gull asking for help again and this time they prepared and took in lots of courage. The two kids told the skull everything once and for all and encouraged the gull to escape from the skull's grasps, by this, the gull also took in courage and afterwards was able to escape. When the full escaped, he felt a different feeling from before when he was still being abused, likewise victims of bullying also need to be like this and so, it was a beautiful way of telling others to help. As for the skull, like the ones at school who bullies children, they should not be criticized and blamed as well, but instead listen to their sides and encourage them to change for the greater good. The skull felt enlightened and cheerful and he was able to do good and great things due to this, that was a beautiful way of ending bullying. All in all, the story is appropriate for any reader and the moral of the story is way understandable and great at the same time so it can help if analyzed. So by this, I can say that the stars of this story may reach a thousand or millions and the author was very great.
akrii
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by akrii »

This sounds like a good book to add to a family bookshelf. Bullying happens even in the younger ages and I think having bullying related through illustration is a perfect way to introduce the fact to children.

Return to “Children's Books”