Official Review: Out Loud by Luz Agudelo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JAtoms
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 32

Re: Official Review: Out Loud by Luz Agudelo

Post by JAtoms »

A nice lesson for kids, all in form of rhyme.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I always enjoy reading your well written reviews.
Vermont Reviews
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

This illustrated rhyming book will surely liked by my son who fits the age category. Does not appear for grown up adults. Congrats for being the BOTD. :)
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I just finished the book, and I have to say that I truly enjoyed it. I found the illustrations to be especially well done. The author's words and rhyming flowed together so easily. It has a great story, with a great lesson, and it is also a good opportunity for children to learn about the beaches as well given that the villain in this is a trash monster.
Chimaikpo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00746UJBS

Post by Chimaikpo »

Bullying is a great topic that should be introduced to our Kids within that age range. Some of these bullies became that way for a reason, just like you mentioned in the review" This then plays into the concept that, just like superheroes, every bully has an "origin story" of what made them into the bully they are.". Thank you for the review. I will most definitely add it to my shelf.
KAMama
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS: A Physician's Advice (Snake Oil Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamama.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by KAMama »

While bullying is an important subject that needs to be addressed, I'm not sure I agree with how well this book does what the author intends. My oldest is in the recommended age range of 8-12 years. She and her friends have been well past rhyming books like this for years. Plus the fact that some of the rhymes are very forced would put them off very quickly. However, the art is amazing and something she would try to emulate.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for your well thought out review. I was interested just by the books title and so I'm really glad to read your take on it before I read it.
peace starts with a smile...
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Dumping trash into the sea is environmental pollution and bullying is social pollution. Both must be tackled seriously. The book has those funny illustrations that add to the fun.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
g-cosentino
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by g-cosentino »

Two topics here of importance, bullying and trashing the environment. While this is ostensibly a children's book adults can learn from it also. It seems to me that a younger child would enjoy being read this story and seeing the fun illustrations as much as the age group it's meant for. Worthwhile read.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds like a great book to read to kids with really important themes and messages. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Jennifer Julander
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 832">Green Lady</a>
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00IZ1Y2XM

Post by Jennifer Julander »

"it shows kids who are initially scared to stand up to the bully become confident, working together and demanding that the bully stop without insulting or physically fighting." Well said. Sounds like a wonderful children's book on a much-needed topic.
Marika Tabone
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marika-tabone.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Marika Tabone »

This sounds like an interesting book. The fact it helps address two major problems in our society, bullying and pollution, - in an entertaining way, makes this book definitly worth reading to our children. Children of today are adults of tomorrow and it is a good thing that they are aware of issues that plague our society. If children are encouraged to take responsibility of these injustices, instead of being indifferent, our world can truely change for the better.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

When I saw this morning that this was today's #BOTD, I tweeted it out to teachers in grades 3rd-7th so that they could end their week on a positive note by reading it to their students before the weekend. I teach HS, so my students are not really the intended audience, but since it's free, I hope the tweet was seen by some who were able to give it a try. :-) Such a great book! I love that children's books are included in the BOTD selections. Thank you for the awesome review!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think the target kids will appreciate the drawings as they look like figures kids can draw easily. The rhyming style will also help them learn poetry the fun way though I agree that some of the rhymes are forced. The use of the beach setting is also good as kids love the beach and they will be able to understand the environmental issue handily, especially as most kids have been to a dirty beach.

I will not be as generous with the rating though as the characters are not impressive enough to make kids remember and relate to them.
Abdullai Rogers
Currently Reading: Three weeks in spring
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abdullai Rogers »

I will read it to my sibling so that day can know how to save the day alsi

Return to “Children's Books”