Official Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski, Ann Marie Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon is a cute, short little illustrated children's book about a young kitty cat named Puffy. One day he decides to go off hunting for a rat and has an adventure away from home. Unfortunately, instead of a rat he finds a "kitty that doesn't meow" - a skunk! Puffy learns the hard way about skunks and runs home, where he is cleaned back up and realizes the errors of his ways.

The best children's books impart a lesson, and with Puffy and the Formidable Foe that lesson is to not run off alone. Puffy learns the hard way that the world isn't all smiles and sunshine, but that lesson is learned in a silly metaphorical way, not a scary, dark way. Who wouldn't want to stay away from smelly skunk spray? It's a very cute, smart way to teach the lesson and was in fact so metaphorical I might not have picked it up if not for the author's explanation.

Here's where the book really went above and beyond for me. Most children's books are merely presented as-is and it's left up to the parents to talk about the book with their kids (if they do at all). With Puffy and the Formidable Foe there's a whole page on ways to use the book with kids before the story actually begins. Several different prompts are presented to help children learn the lesson, learn about rhyming (the vast majority of the book is told in rhyme) and there's even an offer for an additional coloring page and a list of the bigger words with their meanings if one emails the authors. I really found that to be a terrific plus for the book, as bonding and teaching are such important benefits of reading to kids.

The art in the book is very clearly hand-created, which walks a fine line between not being overly fantastic but also being unique, cute and totally relatable for children. It's the kind of art that a kid could attempt to do on their own, although there are some details that wouldn't be quite as easy to emulate. While I can't find proof either way, one of the Amazon reviews states that this is 3 generations of family that worked on this book, and if so I wonder if one of the younger family members helped with the art. If so, it's incredibly cute and so genuinely fits with the idea of sharing the book with your own children!

The book is very short - only 8 wide-screen pages in the actual story - but it's pretty much the exact length it should be. The length also makes it incredibly easy to go back over it again, repeatedly hunting down rhyming words and talking about the theme. There is also one single grammatical error early into the story itself, but it isn't major. I feel very confident in giving Puffy and the Formidable Foe a solid 3 out of 4 stars. While Amazon has no recommended age listed, I'd recommend it to parents who are first starting to explore reading with their children. The length makes it fitting for even the most impatient, quick to fall asleep kids!

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love the fact that the author strongly encourages children and adults to read with each other. The prompts at the beginning of the book is an excellent touch! Every children's book should have something like that because sometimes parents need to be educated as well on how they can promote conversation through the book.

Great Review! ??
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Using the skunk to teach Puffy a lesson is a very clever ploy. The review is very refreshing. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Perfect Ndlovu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 341">Puffy and the Formidable Foe</a>
Currently Reading: Alphabet Motivation
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Perfect Ndlovu »

The best children's book.The book is very short but pretty much interesting and the art is very clear. I love it
Lifeeased
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lifeeased »

Being a cat person, I love stories about kitties. This wonderful children's picture book has all the elements that makes me love it .
Faith Muiva
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faith Muiva »

I've read the novel puffy and the formidable foe, despite its fun and simple language it's amazing for kids and adults too as it will help and improve their reading skills. The most interesting part is where Puffy finds a kitty that doesn't meow instead of a rat thus learning life the hard way. It's a great review for me as a reader/reviewer.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I agree to your point about the above and beyond guides. It is clear that this book was made with love.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars myself. Feel free to check out my review when you have time.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading different reviewers on this book since it is a free book now. I love cats and basically I will enjoy reading this book some other time.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Did you find the artwork to be a bit scattered? It never occurred to me that children possibly assisted with the illustrations. The inconsistency really threw me off though. Some pages Puffy has eyelashes; some he does not. Some pages his nose is pink; some it is white or grey. Thoughts?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Children's Books”