Official Review: The Amazing Adventures of Polar And Hedge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: The Amazing Adventures of Polar And Hedge

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Amazing Adventures of Polar And Hedge" by Ted W.Goodrich.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Amazing Adventures of Polar and Hedge by Ted W. Goodrich is a children’s picture book about the escapades of Polar, Hedge, and Jonathon. Polar and Hedge are a pair of stuffed animals that Jonathon’s parents thought were perfect for him, so they decided to bring them home when he was just a baby. Everywhere that Jonathon goes, his friends Polar and Hedge are in tow. They play pool, baseball, golf, and much more. They’re so busy having fun that they don’t even realize the time passing by. Then one day, Jonathon goes away to school and leaves Polar and Hedge behind. Will he remember his two friends that are stuck on the shelf back home, or will they just become lost memories?

This book was a joy to read. It had a great flow to it, and it was full of excitement. I loved that the book was written in rhyme. I know from personal experience that writing a story in rhyme can be difficult, but the author did a great job with this book. The rhyming patterns were kept consistent and gave the story an upbeat feel. It would be perfect to read out loud during story time.

Another aspect of the book that I really enjoyed was that there was a short story within it. The use of a story within a story was unique. I’ve seen very few book do this. I enjoyed that I got to read the book along with the characters instead of just reading a statement saying that they read it. My only complaint about the short story is that it ended kind of abruptly and didn't have a transition back into the original book. I understood that it had ended, but kids might get a little confused.

I also enjoyed the plot of this book. It reminded me a little bit of Toy Story, which was one of my favorite movies growing up. I’ve seen quite a few children’s books that do not have a complete plot, so I was impressed with the story line of this book. The level of development was perfect for preschool children. It was deep enough to interest them, but it didn’t get too complex. It was also easy for young children to relate to.

The only major problem I found with this book was that it was obvious that some of the pictures were photoshopped. They were all real-life photos, which I generally like better than illustrations. Unfortunately, these pictures looked awkward and kind of fake. The pictures made up half of the book, so this was a pretty big disappointment.

Overall, this was a cute children’s story. I definitely enjoyed reading it. If I were just rating the written aspect of it, I would definitely give this book a full four stars. It had a great flow and I didn’t notice a single mistake in grammar. However, the pictures could have been better. Because it is a children’s book, the pictures are important enough to drop my rating. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. Even with the current pictures, I would still recommend this book to anyone who has children to read it with. It’s a great story to enjoy together.

The Amazing Adventures of Polar And Hedge
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like a great book for parents to read with children! Too bad the pictures couldn't have been better because I also prefer real life images in picture books because it gives children a better visual.

Great job on the review! :animals-ginger:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Amagine wrote:It sounds like a great book for parents to read with children! Too bad the pictures couldn't have been better because I also prefer real life images in picture books because it gives children a better visual.

Great job on the review! :animals-ginger:
Thank you! It really was the perfect book for parents to read with their children aside from the pictures.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I think this will be a good book to put on my list of gift books for children.The question is why did Jonathon leave his friends at home? My guess is that his parents mailed them to him, or took them along on a visit to him at the school. A good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

It sounds like toy story where children leave behind their toys once they grow up. Great review, hope my sister likes it.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I too love that the story rhymed! That's so fabulous especially for reading aloud. It's too bad about the pictures, though! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

As far as illustrations go, I am a little bummed that they are not drawn illustrations cause those are my favorite. However, this sounds like a cute and fun book to read. I will definitely consider this one whenever I have kids and want a good story to read to them. Thanks for the review and you did an excellent job with it.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow. Terrific review. The book does sound amazing.

Return to “Children's Books”