Did Dr. Seuss influence your life?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Did Dr. Seuss influence your life?

Post by Amagine »

The answer is yes for me. I was read his books a lot to as a child. When I grew up, I read them by myself. His books created a love for reading inside me. He later even influenced my writing because I enjoy writing for children. I'm in my late 20s and I still read his books to this day without any shame.

Am I the only one whose life was influenced by this man?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

There were three of us at home that all absorbed Dr. Seuss books. I remember, as the oldest, reading these books to my brother, the youngest. The illustrations grab your attention and imagination. the rhyming makes it a joy to read and easy to remember. We're still quoting Dr. Seuss to this day. A good book is a good book. Thank you and enjoy!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I would have to say that the books have definitely influenced my life, especially as a youngster. Dedication is one thing that they taught me along with keeping your word. Though, maybe the most important part was that I didn't want to ever eat green eggs for breakfast! :lol: :wink:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

There are so many life lessons that children (and adults) can get from a Dr.Seuss book. Recently, I was reading a book by a professor who analyzed all of the books in incredible depth. I have to say, I learned there were so many different lessons in just a single book! I convinced myself that I'm going to have to bring up my Dr.Seuss collection and read (analyze) them again.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I dont think so. I read a lot of his books and enjoyed them as a kid, but it didnt leave me with anything particularly profound. If not him, I'dve just read more of other works like Amelia Bedelia.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Basya
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Basya »

As a child avid reader (and librarian in the making), I enjoyed these books. They definitely sparked the imagination. Thinking back to those years and looking ahead, I shared them with young patrons from preschoolers to pre-adolescents. There is so much food for thought in many of his stories.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I was never a big Dr. Seuss fan. The only story by him that I can say had some influence on me was How the Grinch Stole Christmas. That could be in part due to my love for the Christmas holiday.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I would think so, I read so many of his books and they were read to me. The Lorax really struck me as did The Butter Battle Book- must less known. I can picture it so strikingly in my mind though. It really sends a message, even to children.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I honestly believe that The Lorax made me into the person I am today. I remember watching the cartoon version as a child and reading the book over and over. When the new movie came out a few years ago, I was ecstatic! I didn't LOVE it as much as the original or the book.

"I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongue." Between the Lorax and DC Comics' Poison Ivy, I am somewhat of a nature-lover. I've contemplated many times about getting a tattoo that says "Unless" because it is so important. "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, it isn't going to change. It's not." It can be applied to any lesson. You don't like some policy? Do something to change it. It's an empowering yet heartbreaking book because it shows that it only takes one person to make things better or to make them worse.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I'm sorry, I do not know who Dr. Seuss is. I guess I have been living under a rock!
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I read almost all of the Dr. Seuss books over and over. My brother and I loved them.

Return to “Children's Books”