Official Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On an otherwise-ordinary day Farmer Beau notices six kittens playing around in his garage. Upon finding them he decides to get his wife, Bamma, and they take a break to watch them play. They put food out for them, but as time goes by they leave, one by one, until only one is left. Smitten, the two decide to convince her to stay and name her Kailey.

Kailey loves the farm, and one day she comes across a cute little bunny named Sammy. The two become fast friends, and Kailey even makes a spot for her to stay. However, when they overhear Farmer Beau and Bamma talking about taking in another animal - one that would be "unusual on the farm" - they start to get worried. What if they love Malissa, this new mystery animal, more than them? What if they get made fun of for having some weird animal around the farm?

The aptly-titled Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger is a cute children's book. Kathleen based the book on finding six kittens actually playing in their garage years ago! The book uses more text than many children's books but the vocabulary is simple enough not to be confusing. I really liked that the font is a dark blue, a bit thicker and bigger than most kindle books use, making it much easier to see at a distance for reading and showing off pictures. While I did find a spot here and there that seemed a bit off grammatically or was missing quotation marks for thought, reading it aloud is definitely easy enough.

The imagery throughout is colorful and reminiscent of classic cartoons like Looney Tunes. The backgrounds are a bit static and flat, but are definitely passable, and it's the characters that are worth focusing on anyway. The animals seem so alive that it's like they're still-frame images captured from a lively cartoon. The book's text is also separate from the images, so there's nothing to take away from how cute they are.

As far as the themes are concerned, Kailey and Sammy are like two loving siblings (without the sibling rivalry!). Their concerns about the new animal are reminiscent of adopting a new child or getting a new baby brother or sister, and once Malissa arrives the kitten and bunny handle it in a relatable, ultimately sweet way.

Overall Farmer Beau's Farm was a sweet read. I could certainly see reading it to kids, especially kids expecting a new sibling or who may not get along so well. Animal lovers will enjoy it as well, as would kids who live on a farm (the silliness of the mystery animal alone would be worth it!). I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Farmer Beau's Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like it would be fun and informative at the same time. Perfect for a children's book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Great review! Seems like a fun, entertaining book many youngsters would enjoy.
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

Thank you for the review. It sounds like it would be an enjoyable book to read to my grandson.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I was delighted to read the review. It is refreshing. It invites us to become children again. I recommend this for moms so that they will have a great story to tell to their children.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a great children story that entertains and enlightens its young readers. I especially love the fact that there are animal characters. Animal characters are nostalgic to adults who think of their own childhood and they are interesting to kids because they aren't human. That is why stories with animal characters are favorites for adult\child interaction.

Great review, I've already added this to my want to read shelf because of you. :)
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I do not have children of my own, and I teach HS students, so this book does not really pertain to my life at all, but I was drawn to the cover...a giraffe! I have been following April the Giraffe for some time now on YouTube, and I am excited for her to have her baby, as are the rest of her viewing fans! I see that this is May's BOTM...so very fitting! Thank you! I'm looking forward to reading this and joining the discussion boards!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Thank you for the review! I love the cover of this book. Sounds like a really cute story and one that will help children get along better. I'll have to see if my sister likes it.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

@CataclysmicKnight What do you think is the ideal age range for this book?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone :D

As for the recommended age, it all depends on the child. It's quite a bit more word-heavy than most children's books, but the vocabulary is still easy to follow. Assuming an adult is reading it to their child and the child is able to stay attentive long enough I'd say 3-6.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Padmanagendran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Padmanagendran »

This book is full of rhytimic words, small children love to read them
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Thanks for the review. The story seems very sweet. I wanna buy this for my cousin but don't know whether it will be good for an 8 yr. Old.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Sacred7Geraldine

Post by Sacred7Geraldine »

It is a good reading book for kids, I like it. The bunny and kitten, they became best friend. That was inspiring.
treasa jahanzeb

Post by treasa jahanzeb »

Its a good book refreshing and its for the children intresting story
Erza_24
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Erza_24 »

Its a good read. I'm no longer a child anymore but the story sounds interesting. Sure enough that kids will enjoy it.

Return to “Children's Books”