Review: Twinkle by Nick Bland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zmaster44
Bookshelf Size: 0

Review: Twinkle by Nick Bland

Post by zmaster44 »

Hi all, I welcome feedback on my reviews so feel free to let me know what I can do better!

Cheers
Mike

Twinkle By Nick Bland.

I am yet to find a Nick Bland book that lacks that ‘read-again’ factor that is present in the best picture story books. Whilst best known for his series ‘The Very Cranky Bear’, Twinkle sees a dramatic departure from the light hearted Bear stories into deeper themes of loneliness. Bland has explored themes before in his stories, with kindness a key plank of the Bear series and ‘King Pig’ as well as friendships in ‘My Monster Wrote Me a Letter’ and ‘The Fabulous Friend Machine’, but Twinkle is darker than his previous works. However, even with this change in tone, this book is appropriate for any child to enjoy.
Twinkle is one of the rare picture books that has you discovering more about the story every time you read it. Many have you coming back for more, but very few times will you take away something else from the reading. You will also be amazed how differently adults and children take the story.

Following the story of Penny Pasketti and the Little Star who lands in her backyard, Twinkle takes the reader on an emotional journey that will leave you endeared to Penny and wishing to give her the friends she longs for. More in the style of Oliver Jeffers than his previous work, Bland’s gorgeous illustrations adds so much information rather than merely supporting the text. Less cartoonish than his Cranky Bear stories, the illustrations perfectly reflect the themes that Bland has created and you will find yourself staring at them long after the text has been read. Children will enjoy being able to pour over every page and discover something new.

The front cover immediately draws you in and invites any number of inferences about the story you are about to read. I challenge you to not immediately feel for Penny as she gazes longingly out of her window staring at the night sky on the first page. Whilst the story focuses on the friendship between Penny and Little Star, Bland’s skills as an illustrator are on show as we see that the events of the story are happening to other children as well.
The story has rich vocabulary and becomes a read to yourself book for children around the age of 7 and 8, however this should not pose a problem as the story will be one that adults are more than happy to read again.

Nick Bland’s Twinkle is a story rich in words, thoughts and pictures and is one you won’t regret adding to your child’s library.
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

Thank you so much for your review of " Twinkle" by Nick Bland. One can't help but want to read this story after having read your descriptive review. If the review of the story isn't enough, your description of the illustrations make you long to have the book in hand, and immediately start flipping the pages.

Return to “Children's Books”