The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jesse-review09
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-review09.html

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Post by Jesse-review09 »

The very hungry caterpillar, is a great book for young children. It shows the life of a greedy depressed caterpillar eating his life away. Everyday he would eat more and more (and even things he shouldn't) until one day he formed into beautiful butterfly.
bookworm0913

Post by bookworm0913 »

I loved this book growing up. Even as a adult it is a great book to read to children. As you stated it does show the life of a greedy caterpillar. When it came to all the items he good things he was eating he did not care. All he cared about was eating, but in the end he turns into something beautiful.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I also loved this book when I was a kid, and I still like it now. I will definitely make sure to read it to any future kids I have. :D
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

My daughter loved this one. I also read it to my students when teaching preschool and first grade..
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This is a really great book. I know small children enjoy it a lot! Eric Carle writes and illustrates some amazing children books. I would love to visit his museum oneday.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

I just had the pleasure of reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar to my six month old grandson a couple of days ago, with great enthusiasm. Having the actual book in your hands, you're able to really see and feel the holes in the items that the caterpillar ate through, seeing front and back of each item. The book, or at least the copy we had, had thicker pages, making it easier for children to hold the book, and work at turning the pages. The colorful illustrations really capture the attention of even the very young. Thank you!
Marivic08

Post by Marivic08 »

I really loved this book.. I remember when I was young me and my two brothers always read this book and I still loved it..

-- 22 May 2017, 10:44 --

I really loved this book.. I remember when I was young me and my two brothers always read this book and I still loved it..
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

This was my favorite when I was little, and my kids love it too. I like that it is also educational. It can help young children to learn days of the week, counting, and how caterpillars become butterflies. The caterpillar also got sick after eating all of the junk food, which can lead to a disscussion with toddlers and preschoolers about the consequences of eating a lot of things that are not good for them.
Catherine-LeeOBC

Post by Catherine-LeeOBC »

I didn't read this book until I was an adult. I enjoyed the simplicity and visual images put together to make a color, bright fun read.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

To be honest, I do think this is a nice story with lovely illustrations, but I don't really know how it got to be a bestseller. I've seen plenty of books as excellently illustrated and with good educational material that are not so popular but with a more interesting story to go along with it. This book engages the mind and the senses, but not the emotions very much. A book that engages the emotions along with the other two is what makes a book GREAT. I didn't get that with this book. In my opinion, I would choose an equally popular but different book on the bookshelf, I think.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Nicole42
Favorite Book: Just In Case You Ever Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole42.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Nicole42 »

The Very Hungry Caterpillar was one of the first books I learned to read by myself in first grade. It quickly became my favorite book that I read it all the way into second grade. I forgot about till a few years ago. I plan on getting it again to read for when I have children my own.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I love how I can imagine and still see the pictures of the book - once you mention it - even after all these years.
Shows how great a story it really is =)
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is definitely a classic that children love and that stays with you when you are an adult. Everything from the writing to the artwork makes it an amazing children's book.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I just read this to a group of four year olds and they were reading each page as I was turning to it! They're so cute! I hope they always love reading like this.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

When I was a teacher, this was an absolute favorite of my class!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Children's Books”