Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Children's Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Three Little Monsters & The Ghos...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.

Official Review: Three Little Monsters & The Ghos...

Post Number:#1 by AbbyC
» 06 Oct 2016, 20:06

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Three Little Monsters & The Ghost of Wisdom Woods" by Jessica Snape.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by AbbyC
Share This Review

Title: The Three Little Monsters and the Ghost of Wisdom Woods
Author: Jessica Snape
Genre: Fiction/Supernatural/Children's Books

Summary: Three little monsters live in Wisdom Woods and scare people to earn points that will help them stay out of monster school. But little Gruesome is behind in points and his latest chance to get them has been ruined by a bad tempered ghost! How will he manage to stay out of the awful monster school now? And why is there a ghost here anyways?

The Three Little Monsters and the Ghost of Wisdom Woods was an entertaining and new approach to a children's book. The plot and language of the story leave it open to a fairly wide range of ages while always remaining easy for a younger audience to enjoy.

I had a lot of fun with this little book. It was a fast read (only took about 15 minutes) and actually kept my attention despite reading it by myself (I'm a little older than the intended audience :wink:). The voice of the author was very good, a little redundant but I honestly think this is a good thing in children's books. Kids can easily forget who's doing what when the story starts to pick up and so the repetitiveness kept things straight for the most part.

The pictures were a great part of the story. Only one every few pages, they acted as fun visuals and something to look forward to. All were in color and with just enough detail to be good without making them boring to children.

The characters themselves were fresh, charming and funny; brimming with quirky personalities and unique appearances. They told a story with good lessons for young readers about kindness and friendship while still remaining silly and fun.

I only have a few complaints. Firstly the names of the three monsters were very similar and might be a little confusing for children (I had trouble telling who was who at first). This wasn't a big deal though as the quirks of each character quickly set them apart from the rest (which isn't an easy thing to do, kudos to the author). There were several grammatical errors in punctuation and sentence structure. This made the story, again, confusing sometimes when it wasn't clear who was speaking. The overall tone of the writing grew stiff occasionally too. But, all in all, I was very pleased with The Three Little Monsters and the Ghost of Wisdom Wood and gladly give it 3 out of 4 stars! I look forward to seeing more books from this author!

Three Little Monsters & The Ghost of Wisdom Woods
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AbbyC's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyC

Currently Reading: The Bartemous Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 45 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 5 Books
Goal Completion: 120%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Three Little Monsters & The Ghos...

Post Number:#2 by AA1495
» 14 Oct 2016, 10:47

Glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the great review!
AA1495

Favorite Book: Out of the Box Awakening
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 9%

Post Number:#3 by AbbyC
» 14 Oct 2016, 14:13

My pleasure!
AbbyC

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by LivreAmour217
» 14 Oct 2016, 14:49

Nice review! This seems like a charming little children's story!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217's Latest Review: "Green Lady" by Jennifer Julander
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 78%

Post Number:#5 by kimmyschemy06
» 26 Oct 2016, 06:02

Sounds like a cute book. It actually reminds me of the movie Monsters, Inc. I agree with you about similar names being confusing to children. Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "Science Deepens Faith" by Thomas McAvoy
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Domestic Violence in Lebanon
Bookshelf Size: 326 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 78%

Post Number:#6 by AbbyC
» 26 Oct 2016, 13:50

LivreAmour217 and kimmyschemy06, thanks! It was a really cute story and there were a few similarities to Monsters Inc. It seemed like they could have been set in similar worlds! But it was still an original story.
AbbyC

View Reviewer Page