Official Review: Fantasy Animals by Janis Kirstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Fantasy Animals by Janis Kirstein

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fantasy Animals" by Janis Kirstein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fantasy Animals by Janis Kirstein tells the tale of two very different animals in the Amazon rainforest: Vortex the anteater and Scoop the lion. Vortex is lighthearted, named after the hordes of ants he eats (and even counts!) while Scoop is fearsome and fast, named after how easily she can spring and scoop up her prey. What are such an unlikely pair doing together, you may ask? They're literally stuck together, joined at the shoulder and torso, forced to spend every moment together!

The concept is rather unique on its own, but the execution in the book is what really makes this book great. The two make for a pair of very relatable siblings, and their differences shine through their dialogue. Vortex, for example, is frequently called a geek for counting the ants he eats and Scoop's crazy fast running leads Vortex to throw up! They bicker and fight, and eventually Scoop decides they'll go find some "saw people" (those who are cutting down the trees in the rainforest) and have them cut them apart.

The plot is as silly as the two main characters, but beneath that humor is some depth as well. The referencing of "saw people" eludes to the awful cutting down of the rainforest, and the sibling rivalry and love is a perfect lesson for anyone with siblings. I really loved the story, and it's a good length for kids who can read for themselves (the book is 50 pages, but the story itself is only about 35). The kindle edition also includes Word Wise, making it easier for kids to read without having to look up definitions or ask their parents what words mean. There are also numerous pieces of art within the pages, typically very colorful and wacky.

Speaking of the art, the entire story was inspired by Alebrijes - "Mexican folk art sculptures of fantastical creatures". They typically have elements from different animals, like bird wings with a skunk body and a peacock's tail. In this book's case, of course, it was the combination of an anteater and a lion. The author also includes links for educators regarding Alebrijes and her art lesson plan, making this a great selection for teachers as well.

I really enjoyed my time with the book, but the need for just a little bit of editing is the only thing holding me back from a perfect score. Especially for a children's' book, correct spelling and grammar are vital, and while there are only a few errors in the story I felt it was worth mentioning. While I'd give the book 3.5 stars if I could, I'm forced to instead give it 3 out of 4 stars, although I highly recommend it to kids everywhere!

Fantasy Animals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Janis Kirstein
Currently Reading: Contract Pending
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Janis Kirstein »

Hi I am sorry to post here but I have no earthly idea where to post this question. I don't want to be blacklisted for asking a question but can somebody please help me? I would like to know how I can get this review put on my Amazon author page please. Thank you. I have not been able to find out where I need to go to ask this question so please forgive my post here. Thank you.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Janis Kirstein wrote:Hi I am sorry to post here but I have no earthly idea where to post this question. I don't want to be blacklisted for asking a question but can somebody please help me? I would like to know how I can get this review put on my Amazon author page please. Thank you. I have not been able to find out where I need to go to ask this question so please forgive my post here. Thank you.
Please contact Scott about that through your Author Dashboard or Contact Scott page.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Video Oma
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Video Oma »

Best world to build your team inspirationaly

Return to “Children's Books”