Official Review: The Slide Prince by Theodore Browne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Official Review: The Slide Prince by Theodore Browne

Post by bruin »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Slide Prince" by Theodore Browne.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eleven year old, Teddy, wakes up in a strange location and does not know where he is. He has no memory of how he got there, or even who he is. Soon after he wakes up outside, he is dodging green slime blasts splashing towards him. He is in the middle of a war. Teddy learns that he is on a land mass, CHAVILLE, on the planet CHA-CHA. The war is between the Slide Family Clan, the CHA-CHA Mongers Clan, and the Bootleggers Clan. Revealed markings on his arm indicate that he is part of the Slide Family Clan. Age freezes on this planet, immortalizing the inhabitants to remain children forever.

The three clans use a martial arts form of song and dance called the CHA-CHA slide. These dance moves are innate to the members of CHAVILLE. The powerful Chanetic Magic is produced by the dance moves to create special powers. The keeper of the CHA-CHA slide shoes, containing Chanetic Magic, rules the land. It is prophesized that a Slide Prince can wear the shoes, instilling peace and freedom to Chaville. The cunning CHA-CHA mongers locked up the shoes and are at constant battle to keep power over the Slide family clan. The Slide family is determined to overpower the CHA-CHA mongers and their bootlegger clan to bring peace to Chaville.

Is the prophecy of the slide prince true? Will the Slide Family clan be able to bring peace to Chaville, or will the CHA-CHA Mongers Clan continue to instigate war and stay in power?

The Slide Prince by Theodore Browne and Marvel Thompson is a young adult science fiction story that is full of imaginative war scenes among the children of the Slide Family Clan and the evil CHA-CHA Mongers Clan. I decided to give this book 2 out of 4 stars because there were many misspellings, which made it challenging to stay on track with the storyline. I decided to give a low rating because I did not like the dialogue between the characters throughout the story. I felt that it was dull, stating the obvious. I was most entertained when the story took place on Slide Islands, learning about the Slide Family Clan and their agenda. I imagined very colorful and pristine beaches across the several Slide islands, full of children learning about the CHA-CHA slide and discovering their purpose. I also thought that the Slide Family Clan allies, which were the whales and the falcons, were creative and were the most engaging characters in the book.

I would not recommend this book to my peers because I could not relate to the ideas or to the characters in the story. There was no personal connection or deep insight for me to be drawn into. The battle scenes, consisting of dance moves, resembled the battle formats in video games, in which certain moves create different powers that are needed to defeat the enemy. I felt that the idea of martial arts dance moves was juvenile and not clever. It would have been more appealing to me if the dance moves were instead just martial arts moves. I also felt that the storyline of the main characters were predictable and the ending was rushed; although, that could leave more material for future books if this book is intended to be part of a series.

The Slide Prince
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bruin's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The premise sounds intriguing. Too bad the book fell short. Thank you for the great review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Thank you
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising and the story creative. It seems the author focused much on the descriptions. Too bad, though, about the flaws. Good job on the review.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

It's a shame that the book had quite a number of errors as it did seem like it had potential to be a good book. Thank you for the review!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

gali wrote:The premise sounds intriguing. Too bad the book fell short. Thank you for the great review.
Gail said what I wanted to say. Great review!

Return to “Children's Books”