Official Review: Early Sunshine by Charissa Young

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Early Sunshine by Charissa Young

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Early Sunshine" by Charissa Young.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first time I truly felt old was when I had to explain to a kid that we didn't have internet or a bunch of televisions when we were kids. If we wanted to play video games, we had to share it with the family and find a time when something good wasn't on! Since then, there have been countless other similar examples that have replaced the infamous "I walked through the snow uphill both ways to school" stories of my own youth. Early Sunshine by Charissa Young feels like the children's book version of proof that life has really changed in the last 20+ years.

Early Sunshine is a book for kids that talks about Charissa's youth. This includes both her parents having jobs, walking to school, watching classic cartoons and doing chores. All of this is done with some really high-quality art from Mike Motz, illustrations that could very easily be screenshots from a cartoon themselves. The colorful, sharp images of Charissa, her family and friends always smiling, even while she does chores and walks to school in rain or snow works as a "see? You can do the things you have to do and still have a great time!" lesson.

In addition to the crisp art, the book in general is really relatable to any family. It's functions as the ultimate back-up to adults telling their kids they walked to school, they had to do chores and they had working parents while also showing the better sides as well, with friends having fun and grabbing ice cream and having dinner as a family.

The book is rather short - only 25 screens total including the title on my Kindle - making it a quick read before bedtime or reference that no, your child wasn't the first one to have to suffer doing the dishes. It also uses mostly easy words, with only a few tricky ones thrown in, so kids could learn to read it themselves.

Overall, this is a lovely children's book. The art is fantastic and the life lessons are handy. It's also incredibly short, however. While this is definitely a great selection for a few very specific uses, it just felt like it was missing a little something. I would have loved to have seen her doing homework, being attentive and respectful in class and maybe a few other scenes. I'd give the book a 2.5 if I could, but because it fills an interesting niche topic and the art is so sharp I'm giving it 3 out of 4 stars.

Early Sunshine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

Sounds like the book could have been a lot better if it was given proper attention. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

Thank you for your review. My grandparents used the walking uphill in the snow for how times have changed. I remember have a nintendo 64 and having to take turns with my brothers. The only phone connected to the wall and you couldn't walk around talking. Times sure have changed
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Perfect Ndlovu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 341">Puffy and the Formidable Foe</a>
Currently Reading: Alphabet Motivation
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Perfect Ndlovu »

The book is absolutely good,especially when you give all your attention to it.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

After reading your review, I’m still trying to figure out what the title means. Was there a character named Sunshine or did the author have to get up early and do chores? Most books for young kids have some sort of tie in between the title and the story just so the child has a slight inkling of what may be coming. Your review leads me to believe that the author really could expand this book out further to include more topics. I understand keeping things simple for kids, but if it left you feeling a little empty at the end then maybe even 5 more pages might make it a little better with closure.
Everything happens for a reason...
Jmeeyyy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jmeeyyy »

This is good for kids. Its relatable to a family.
T_Elizabeth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by T_Elizabeth »

This sounds like a really interesting book. It seems that it could be educational in showing children how different their upbringing is from their parents. However, I can also see certain demographics of children relating to the book. For instance, I work with many students who are being raised the same way my generation was; no internet, cell phone, or game system and walking to and from school. I think those students would appreciate reading a book that depicts the same lifestyle as their own.I also really appreciate the cover art, for it draws the eye in, and with children that can be the difference between them walking past a book and them stopping to pick the book up to read.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Short books are nice when your reading them to young kids. That way they won't get bored. I liked the theme to it.
:techie-studyingbrown:
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

Thanks for your review! The author's sentiment was actually true especially at a highly digitized world and almost all kids have their own iPads. I also agree about decreasing emphasis on young people's respect for the elderly. overall I like to read the book. :)
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

All the aspects of the book sound great. Great review. The easy words and colorful pictures will make reading fun, especially before bedtime.
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

I used to get those types of stories from my dad when I was a kid and I sometimes have to use stories of my own on my kids now days too.
En+kay
Currently Reading: The Hit
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by En+kay »

Short story, colorful illustrations I can imagine the many questions my little ones will ask me. It will make our night time reading fun.
Well done on the review
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Quite a relatable format of how our parents lived their lives without the present day internet and tech. Wonder if kiddies these days would understand that sorta life if the were subjected to it. I bet this book exemplifies it better than experienced for them
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Overall, this is a lovely children's book
An encouraging review. Good job.
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

While reading your review I was remembered my childhood with no smart phones and technology. Thanks for the great review

Return to “Children's Books”