Official Review: Rocky by Jennie E Nicassio

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Rocky by Jennie E Nicassio

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rocky" by Jennie E Nicassio.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've read plenty of children's books with little kids, train engines and monsters as characters but Rocky by Jennie E Nicassio is the first time I've seen a tree as the main character! Rocky is a little Norway Spruce tree, with bare, bent branches and not-so-green needles (much like Charlie Brown's little dinky Christmas tree). Despite being the smallest and least perfect tree, he still dreams of winning the Rockefeller Christmas Tree Contest and becoming this year's Rockefeller Christmas Tree!

As one may expect, Rocky is mocked for his dream. The animals and even the other trees are quick to point out just how impossible it is for him to win, and just how silly it is to even think it's possible. A wood fairy named Mary Louise interrupts Bruce's bullying, and after introducing herself he asks for her to make him stronger and more handsome so he can win. She tells him that magic doesn't exist, he just has to believe! With her words, his belief is rejuvenated and he begins working to become the tree he's always wanted to be.

This message of working hard to make things happen may be a common one, but it's definitely an important message. The book also has a fair amount of bullying from Bruce Spruce and AJ the squirrel. Rocky handles them in an excellent way, by being confident but kind, standing up for himself and never giving up. Showing children that being a bully is a bad thing is great, as are showing them how to handle a bully and teaching them to work hard and believe in their dreams!

The illustrations in the book are really cute. They look digital, but the artist knows how to play with colors in a way that doesn't feel flat at all. The faces the trees make are awesome, ranging from snarky to sad to cheesy and they're all absolutely perfect for adults and children. Altogether the story itself is 25 pages, each of which has text over an image, and then the book includes an uncolored page of the main characters that could presumably be printed off to be colored. Following that, there are a few pages showing off an actual Rockefeller Tree and even the original tree from many years ago. The story, along with the Rockefeller Tree images, could easily lead to kids being excited about seeing the next tree chosen and all lit up and decorated!

While the author doesn't specify what ages the book is for, it seems like one that can be introduced as soon as a kid will sit and listen to a book being read to them. The writing is smooth and I didn't see a single grammatical error while reading. As such, I'm giving the book 4 out of 4 stars and highly recommend it for kids who can't read as well as those who are learning to read on their own. The book definitely gets bonus points for essentially giving Charlie Brown's dinky little Christmas tree its own story!

Rocky
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Sounds like a cute and fun book! Great review!
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review of today's book of the day.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I always liked Charlie Brown's dinky little tree so this story sounds like a winner. It's also nice when a children's story incorporates universal messages such as working hard to make something happen and how to handle bullies. Congrats to the author on receiving a glowing review!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
poetrythanki
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrythanki.html
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens

Post by poetrythanki »

The illustrations in the book are too colorful and attractive. Perfect book for kids for the Christmas season. It looks inspiring. Great review, by the way!
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thank you for the review. I downloaded the sample, this isn't usually my thing, but I may give it a shot.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Congrats on being BOTD! Love the idea of a little spruce wanting to become the Rockefeller Christmas tree. Belief in youself seems to be the main theme and perfect for children. Also just in time for the holiday season.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great review! I agree the pictures in the book are cute :) this seems like a great book for kids.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

This book sounds adorable. I can't wait to read it.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

From your review, I think that this is a book with important messages. Work hard and your dreams will come true. Bullying is not the way to go and I love how the author deals with this important issue. The illustrations are really nice also! Very positive and happy! Thank you for your review and Happy Holidays!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

I loved your review. I saw this book a couple of weeks ago during an Amazon giveaway and thought it sounded like it might be perfect for my granddaughter. After reading your review I am sure of it. Charlie Brown's scrawny Christmas tree Gleason a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Thank you so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This book sounds absolutely adorable. And I love the message of working hard and standing up to bullies. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A tree as the main character? How cute! Sounds like a cute book with great messages for kids.

A great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

Rocky is a perfect read for the vacations with shades of faith and bullying both and is a complete family read. A well deserved perfect score. Congrats on being the BOTD. :)
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I love the theme of never give up on your dreams, and the anti-bullying stance. Definitely an extra bonus read for the holidays. Thanks for the thoughtful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Return to “Children's Books”