Official Review: Rocky by Jennie E Nicassio

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana977
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Rocky by Jennie E Nicassio

Post by Ivana977 »

This is a great book for children to start to build their self-esteem, and for us older to remind us how important it is to believe in yourself and your uniqueness. Train like Rocky! :-)
justicejosiah
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele

Post by justicejosiah »

I've read plenty of children's books with little kids, train engines and monsters as characters but Rocky by Jennie E Nicassio is the first time I've seen a tree as the main character! Rocky is a little Norway Spruce tree, with bare, bent branches and not-so-green needles (much like Charlie Brown's little dinky Christmas tree). Despite being the smallest and least perfect tree, he still dreams of winning the Rockefeller Christmas Tree Contest and becoming this year's Rockefeller Christmas Tree!
As one may expect, Rocky is mocked for his dream. The animals and even the other trees are quick to point out just how impossible it is for him to win, and just how silly it is to even think it's possible. A wood fairy named Mary Louise interrupts Bruce's bullying, and after introducing herself he asks for her to make him stronger and more handsome so he can win. She tells him that magic doesn't exist, he just has to believe! With her words, his belief is rejuvenated and he begins working to become the tree he's always wanted to be.
This message of working hard to make things happen may be a common one, but it's definitely an important message. The book also has a fair amount of bullying from Bruce Spruce and AJ the squirrel. Rocky handles them in an excellent way, by being confident but kind, standing up for himself and never giving up. Showing children that being a bully is a bad thing is great, as are showing them how to handle a bully and teaching them to work hard and believe in their dreams!
The illustrations in the book are really cute. They look digital, but the artist knows how to play with colors in a way that doesn't feel flat at all. The faces the trees make are awesome, ranging from snarky to sad to cheesy and they're all absolutely perfect for adults and children. Altogether the story itself is 25 pages, each of which has text over an image, and then the book includes an uncolored page of the main characters that could presumably be printed off to be colored. Following that, there are a few pages showing off an actual Rockefeller Tree and even the original tree from many years ago. The story, along with the Rockefeller Tree images, could easily lead to kids being excited about seeing the next tree chosen and all lit up and decorated!
While the author doesn't specify what ages the book is for, it seems like one that can be introduced as soon as a kid will sit and listen to a book being read to them. The writing is smooth and I didn't see a single grammatical error while reading. As such, I'm giving the book 4 out of 4 stars and highly recommend it for kids who can't read as well as those who are learning to read on their own. The book definitely gets bonus points for essentially giving Charlie Brown's dinky little Christmas tree its own story!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Couldn't pass this one by. Such a simple book with plenty of morals to go round. Great review, Cataclysmicknight.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
bernadette tela
Currently Reading: Rage and Mercy Part 1
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by bernadette tela »

nice one the book is totally interesting and will be looking forward to more of such.
Magomepacha
Currently Reading: The Limitless Real Estate Leader
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Magomepacha »

The story of Rocky enables interactions among children.This is for his passionate quest to succeed through hard work,being confident and never giving up his dreams.It is a good read during festive seasons.Highly recommended to listeners for they make good readers.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Review of the book ‘Rocky’, at the request of the author Jennie E Nicassio

The story of Rocky, the Rockefeller Christmas tree belongs to Children’s book genre, written by Jennie E Nicassio. The content of the book is very enriching as well as inspiring. The book has beautiful pictures, illustrations by Dina Colangelo, with words of the story written over them. It reflects on the basic philosophy for children regarding their challenge of life. The book revolves around the theme of success with tree as the main character. The author presents a lively picture of the secret of success in life.

Rocky, the smallest and the weakest Norway Spruce, with bare and bent branches, needles not so green, dreams to win the contest of being chosen as the Rockefeller Christmas Tree. The picture of the actual Rockefeller tree and even the original tree, have been given at the end of the book. Rocky’s companions were suspicious about his capacities. These characters, AJ, the squirrel, Bruce Spruce, the tallest tree and Mrs. Pickles, the skunk, were sarcastic of him and tried to prevent him from achieving his dream. They are also a representation of hurdles that he comes across in reaching his goal. While facing this situation, Rocky happens to meet the fairy Mary Louise, whom he requests for a magic to win the contest. Mary Louise reveals to him that he just had to believe himself, and that no magic existed in this world. Since that day, Rocky drank a lot of water, and imagined himself tall and strong and so he became. He finally won the contest.

The background of Christmas and the character of the fairy Mary Louise give the book, a touch of perfection. The philosophy of success that one has to believe himself or herself and not in any magic, looks fairly plain and simple, as far as the wholesomeness of the book is concerned. This seems O.K. for younger kids. But so far as older kids are concerned, one line was missing about the role of failure in one’s life, which would have made a complete sense.

The characters are very likable and they seem to be a real life scene. The overall milieu, i.e., the jungle scene, created in the book is superb. The story seems to be a standard one, with a moral, to the likes of ‘Oregon Kids’ and ‘Heaven’s Bubble Machine’. The aspect of faith has been renewed in our minds. The author unfailingly presents the role of good luck, in the form true guidance, through the character of the fairy Mary Louise. Also we must be simple enough to believe. I did not find any grammatical errors in the book, to the best of my knowledge. Although the book is as short as 25 pages, I was left with the feeling that matters have been discussed at length.

I recommend this book to all children, young and old and anyone who aspires for a good read. So, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The author deserves the merit for putting together all the elements that play a role in life.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

A cute book with an important message is perfect for children.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

A tree as a main character sounds like such an interesting twist on the normal kids books. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I love the character named Bruce the Spruce! The message of the book sounds delightful in that it sends out the idea that we can accomplish anything when we shut off the negativity around us. Like you, I don’t know if I have ever read a children’s book where the main character is a tree. But, why not? This sounds like a good book on many different levels.
Everything happens for a reason...
Jmeeyyy

Post by Jmeeyyy »

I love the theme. This is best for Christmas Season. Thank you for the review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

A cute story with some great lessons. Sounds like the perfect kids book. I"ll have to pick up a copy for my niece and nephew. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

A tree as the main character? Sounds awesome!
Great review!

Return to “Children's Books”