Official Review: The Gnomes in the Trees by C.L. Collyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Gnomes in the Trees by C.L. Collyer

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gnomes in the Trees" by C.L. Collyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who doesn't love gnomes?! I adore gnomes and was very happy to see a short story on them. The Gnomes in the trees is a delightful children’s picture book by C.L. Collyer suitable for children ages 3 through 8.

This is a cute story about friendship, gnomes, and magic. Jacky Foster lives in a farm with his parents, his sister Josie, and his faithful dog Sparky. At Jacky's eighth birthday party, an incredible thing occurs. A statue of gnome comes alive and asks Jacky to help his family who live in a faraway land. Jacky agrees and goes off with his dog to save the day.

This charming picture book caught my eye immediately because of the illustration on the cover, and I'm delighted to say that the contents are just as endearing. This story is poetically written with steady rhythm and rhyme, and illustrated beautifully (black and white on my kindle). To fully appreciate its beauty, it is best to read it on a tablet as it isn't very comfortable to read on the kindle due to the format. Personally I prefer the paper version for children's books.

The book has large pictures to keep the kids engaged during the reading. In this book the kids will learn what goodwill and teamwork can accomplish. This imaginative tale will bewitch the hearts of its readers, young and old. The book is penned in the first person, and has a natural, flowing style. The author has kept the writing style simple for young readers to follow, painting a delightful picture of gnomes. The story may be simple but was a joy to read.

My only reservation is that the hero leaves home without telling anyone, not a good message for kids in our troubled times. Parents should warn their kids about the dangers of doing that. They should also explain that what is acceptable in a story isn't so in real life. Nonetheless, I must say I greatly enjoyed this cute short story and found it a refreshing tale. The imaginative world created by the author was fun to read and would appeal to kids and adults alike.

It was a sweet and fun read from start to finish, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This is the first book in the "Jacky Foster Adventure" series, and a great start for the series! It's a perfect bedtime story for young kids. I loved this story and would recommend this book to young readers who love gnomes' tales and fantasy adventures.

The Gnomes in the Trees
View: on Bookshelves

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, gali! This sounds like such an adorable children's book because gnomes are pretty awesome! I like how you wrote a warning for parents before reading this book. I find it odd that the hero left without telling anyone... :eusa-think: I'm gad you enjoyed it otherwise!
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Great review, gali! This sounds like such an adorable children's book because gnomes are pretty awesome! I like how you wrote a warning for parents before reading this book. I find it odd that the hero left without telling anyone... :eusa-think: I'm gad you enjoyed it otherwise!
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :tiphat:
Thank you. It is a an adorable children's book and I greatly enjoyed it. I believe kids will enjoy it even more. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
GnomeMaster
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GnomeMaster »

Hi Gali and thank you very much for such a kind and generous review of my book, The Gnomes in the Trees. You had a very valid observation with regard to the value proposition regards Jacky running off with his dog to help the gnomes without seeking permission from his parents and what meaning that might convey to young readers. In actual fact, I had a verse where he did tell his parents that the gnome(s) needed help. My editor and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary for this story. First both his parents and siblings as well as some friends were there for the birthday party and were on the porch when the "statue" gnome came over to him. Secondly, the story has this fantasy about it as to whether the whole thing really happened and therefore Jacky might not have needed to ask. My second book, The Gnomes and The Princes Birthday Parade, with the same cast of characters, does have him telling his parents that he is going off to help the gnomes again but he would be back for dinner. This story obviously has less to do with fantasy now that the storylines suggest it happened ergo him letting his parents know what he is doing. I hope that makes sense.
Thanks again so much for the wonderful review.
C.L. Collyer
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another great review! I love gnomes and, in fact, have two in my yard. :) The story sounds really cute. I agree that the plot point about someone leaving home without tellng anyone is not a good message for children.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

GnomeMaster wrote:Hi Gali and thank you very much for such a kind and generous review of my book, The Gnomes in the Trees. You had a very valid observation with regard to the value proposition regards Jacky running off with his dog to help the gnomes without seeking permission from his parents and what meaning that might convey to young readers. In actual fact, I had a verse where he did tell his parents that the gnome(s) needed help. My editor and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary for this story. First both his parents and siblings as well as some friends were there for the birthday party and were on the porch when the "statue" gnome came over to him. Secondly, the story has this fantasy about it as to whether the whole thing really happened and therefore Jacky might not have needed to ask. My second book, The Gnomes and The Princes Birthday Parade, with the same cast of characters, does have him telling his parents that he is going off to help the gnomes again but he would be back for dinner. This story obviously has less to do with fantasy now that the storylines suggest it happened ergo him letting his parents know what he is doing. I hope that makes sense.
C.L. Collyer
Thank you for your comments and clarification. :)

I loved your book and your second book sounds just as good. Good luck! :)

-- July 20th, 2016, 6:41 am --
bookowlie wrote:Another great review! I love gnomes and, in fact, have two in my yard. :) The story sounds really cute. I agree that the plot point about someone leaving home without tellng anyone is not a good message for children.
Thank you. :)

I had one as well, but it broke. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

GnomeMaster
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GnomeMaster »

Good morning Gali. If you send me a mailing address or P.O. Box, I would be happy to send a copy of the hardcover version to you. The illustrations are wonderful in hi-re, full color; in fact one reviewer said that a child could understand the story line just by looking at the illustrations.

By the way, Pride and Prejudice was one of my all time favorite books as well.
C.L. Collyer
gali

Post by gali »

GnomeMaster wrote:Good morning Gali. If you send me a mailing address or P.O. Box, I would be happy to send a copy of the hardcover version to you. The illustrations are wonderful in hi-re, full color; in fact one reviewer said that a child could understand the story line just by looking at the illustrations.

By the way, Pride and Prejudice was one of my all time favorite books as well.
C.L. Collyer
Good morning! :)

The illustrations looked great on the PC, and I am sure they look even better on the paper version. :)

Thank you very much for your kind offer. However, I live abroad for one nor am I sure it is allowed. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:
GnomeMaster wrote:Hi Gali and thank you very much for such a kind and generous review of my book, The Gnomes in the Trees. You had a very valid observation with regard to the value proposition regards Jacky running off with his dog to help the gnomes without seeking permission from his parents and what meaning that might convey to young readers. In actual fact, I had a verse where he did tell his parents that the gnome(s) needed help. My editor and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary for this story. First both his parents and siblings as well as some friends were there for the birthday party and were on the porch when the "statue" gnome came over to him. Secondly, the story has this fantasy about it as to whether the whole thing really happened and therefore Jacky might not have needed to ask. My second book, The Gnomes and The Princes Birthday Parade, with the same cast of characters, does have him telling his parents that he is going off to help the gnomes again but he would be back for dinner. This story obviously has less to do with fantasy now that the storylines suggest it happened ergo him letting his parents know what he is doing. I hope that makes sense.
C.L. Collyer

bookowlie wrote:Another great review! I love gnomes and, in fact, have two in my yard. :) The story sounds really cute. I agree that the plot point about someone leaving home without tellng anyone is not a good message for children.

One of my gnomes is also slightly broken. Half of his hat broke off so he might be missing some of his brain, too. :)
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
gali wrote:
C.L. Collyer

One of my gnomes is also slightly broken. Half of his hat broke off so he might be missing some of his brain, too. :)
Poor gnome! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

His "brother" will have to make all the gnome decisions for him since he still has his hat and brain...for now. :)
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:His "brother" will have to make all the gnome decisions for him since he still has his hat and brain...for now. :)
lol you better take good care of him then, or he will make poor decisions... 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like such a cute book. I agree that picture books are better read in good old-fashioned paper :) Especially for young children. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a great review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
gali

Post by gali »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Sounds like such a cute book. I agree that picture books are better read in good old-fashioned paper :) Especially for young children. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a great review!
It is! Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I've been seeing quite a few children's book reviews lately, and they all just make me want to go home and pick up some of my son's favorites and start reading! :) Great review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Children's Books”