Official Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1" by Claire Youmans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What a charming children's book! The book wasn't what I expected it to be. It was much better! By the time I had finished the first chapter I knew for certain that it would be an amazing read. And I was right! This book is a thrilling adventure ride incorporating fantasy, folklore, historical tidbits, politics, dual-natured beings, quests, and much more besides.

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy by Claire Youmans is the first in a series featuring two unique kids, Azuki and her brother Shota. And I do mean unique! Both kids can turn into birds, imagine that! While Shota, the sparrow boy, is impetuous, curios, and resourceful, Azuki, the Toki-girl, is brave, adventurous, and determined. The two complement each other splendidly. Set in a fantasy version of Meiji-era Japan, the story follows their trials, adventures, and mishaps amidst all the changes and chaos Japan experienced as her gates were opened to the rest of the world.

There are two main plot lines which overlap in interesting and surprising ways. Azuki and Shota's story is one. The two kids-birds live peacefully with their adopted human parents in a small district on the southern island of Kyushu. Their lives take a turn for the worse when an evil feudal overlord kidnaps Azuki for the beautiful feathers she sheds. Azuki manages to break free, but what a girl-bird to do? Desperate and hurt, she decides to look for her Toki-kin. Shota has a quest of his own. He has to bring his sister back home before the year is over, or they will lose their human identities. They need to be able to live as both human and bird, in order to truly be themselves. Along the way they both meet colorful new friends and learn valuable lessons about their self-worth.

The second plot line involves another set of protagonists, Anko and Benjamin. Amidst the suspense and adventure there is also the gentlest touch of youthful romance between the Japanese girl and the young American naval officer. Their budding relationship serves best to emphasise the differences between the two cultures. The cultural barriers between the two are well conveyed.

The book revolves around the four main characters and colourful cast of side characters. The various threads complement each other and add a complexity and interest to the story. The author’s intricate weaving of the different characters' points of view is well done. With a story told from multiple points of view, a well-constructed world, likable protagonists, and an enthralling narrative, we have an enchanting tale. The story was quite original and it had me curious about what would happen next. It does take a dark turn (two murders) and the ending is a bit too abrupt, but those are its only faults.

The plot and the world-building surrounding this story were quite interesting and all the elements in the story flow together seamlessly. It is a beautifully written book that captures the imagination of the reader from the first and the perfect middle grade novel. Even though it’s geared towards young readers, as an adult I was able to fully immerse myself into the fantastically created realm. The writing style is easy to understand, but by no means simplistic.

The author takes what could have been a straightforward tale, and turns it into something more - a lesson in self-discovery and acceptance of one's nature. Children will find the characters easy to identify with, and will learn important life lessons along the way. The book combines an adventure story with themes of self-worth, loyalty, friendship, love, and courage while emphasizing qualities such as compassion, empathy and kindness. Each chapter opens with lovely illustrations (black and white on my kindle) which were done by young artists. Hurray to them!

It was a fun read from start to finish, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the book and loved the concept of dual-natured beings. I am definitely looking forward to reading more in the series. I would recommend the book to middle grade kids and up and to anyone who loves unique fairy tales and fantasy adventure. The author created a very imaginative tale that children and parents alike will want to read over and over again.

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1
View: on Bookshelves

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your well-written review! Isn't it nice when a book is even better than you expected? It sounds very imaginative with great characters.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed your well-written review! Isn't it nice when a book is even better than you expected? It sounds very imaginative with great characters.
Thank you! it is and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a great book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I love it already. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Claire Youmans on such an obviously well written book.
gali

Post by gali »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book. I love it already. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Claire Youmans on such an obviously well written book.
Thank you. I enjoyed reading it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds really good! I love the idea of them turning into birds. So creative!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
gali

Post by gali »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Sounds really good! I love the idea of them turning into birds. So creative!
It is! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Your enthusiasm flows out from your review! It's funny, I was thinking of choosing this book, but decided on another one. It's great hearing how wonderful the author wrote such an enchanting tale! Wonderful, fun review! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Your enthusiasm flows out from your review! It's funny, I was thinking of choosing this book, but decided on another one. It's great hearing how wonderful the author wrote such an enchanting tale! Wonderful, fun review! :)
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I just realized this book is the first one in a series, since I noticed there was another installment on the review book list. It's great that you loved this first book because now you have discovered a new series to read.
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I just realized this book is the first one in a series, since I noticed there was another installment on the review book list. It's great that you loved this first book because now you have discovered a new series to read.
Indeed. I think there are 3 books so far and another book is on the cards. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Well, put up a pot of tea since you will have more books to read!
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Well, put up a pot of tea since you will have more books to read!

lol I will need more than one pot of tea since there are many books on my reading list... 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I read the second book and reviewed it a while back!
gali

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:I read the second book and reviewed it a while back!
Did you write a review? What did you think about it?
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Children's Books”