Official Review: The Oregon Kids by Bob Richley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Official Review: The Oregon Kids by Bob Richley

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Oregon Kids" by Bob Richley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Oregon Kids: The Big Catch by Bob Richley is a short children’s picture book. The main character in the story, Billy, loves to fish. He and his parents are going on a camping trip, and he is excited that he is going to get to go fishing. However, obstacles keep popping up that stop him from going fishing. With each obstacle, he gets more impatient. When he finally gets to go fishing, his mood is dampened because his little sister follows along. He has to learn to have patience if he is going to enjoy himself.

I love when children’s books have life lessons. Billy’s dad tells him that he is being selfish in the way he is acting because he was getting impatient with his little sister. As the story continues, Billy has to learn to be patient and selfless, especially with his sister. This is such an important lesson for children, and I feel like the book teaches the lesson in a fun way that is easy for the children to understand.

The main character is easy for children to relate to. He is even easy for adults to identify with. Almost everyone can understand what it feels like to be delayed in doing something he or she really wants to do. It is easy to see why he is so impatient. He really wants fish, but he keeps being stopped from doing so. Because Billy is so relatable, it is easier for children to understand the lesson in the story.

The biggest complaint I often have with children’s books is that they are either too difficult to understand, or they are so simple that the writing is boring. This book did not have this problem. The writing was not overly simplified, but it was easy enough that a young child would be able to understand it. It is meant to be read to the child, but I think that children around seven to eight years old could even read and understand it with minimal help.

I also enjoyed the illustrations by Hilbert Bermejo. I think that they depicted the story very well. Each picture was related to what was happening in the text on that page. I have noticed in many children’s books that the pictures do not always match the text. In this book the pictures helped tell the story, which is what illustrations in a picture book should do. I also liked that there was consistently an illustration for each page of text. The uniform pattern of the book is great for young readers.

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a great story for children, and I gave it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who has or works with kids. It was a well-written story that would be perfect to read with children. I think the ideal age for this story would be about five to eight years old. It is a great book with a great life lesson.

The Oregon Kids
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Great review! This looks really cute! I will have to put it on my TBR list for when my son and daughter get a little older.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Awesome review! This sounds like a book that my baby cousin would enjoy :)
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Thanks for the great comments! They'll enjoy it!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I also love when children’s books have life lessons. Sounds like a sweet book for kids. It is good that the main character is easy for children to relate to. I am glad that you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for your helpful review! I'm happy to see another children's book featured as #BOTD! I love the variety that OBC gives us! At a discounted price of $0.99 this seems like a great book to add to the kindle library I started for my newphew. I think he will enjoy it, and it will help him know how to act in similar situations, since we now have another little one in the family. Selflessness is a character trait we should all strive to obtain. Congrats to Bob Richley on the fantastic review!
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like a great book to read to my kids who are 4 and 6. At this age it's hard for them to put themselves in someone else's shoes and think about how others are feeling. I have a hard time getting this message through to them and hope this book will help.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I don't think I'll buy this book, but it does look very promising for children. I love it when kids books have life lessons told in a fun manner and it seems to be the case here.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

This looks like a well-done children's book, along with illustrations that help to tell the story. Thanks!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

This sounds like a great book and I like that the author makes the character relatable to many age groups. I also agree that sometimes the pictures in a children's book do not always match up with the text which can become confusing. I think that this book would be great for children in elementary school.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I do not support fishing, so I probably will not buy this book. However, patience being the moral lesson is very timely and relevant, and the illustration I saw in the sample is enticing.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I agree wholeheartedly with you that it is difficult to get the proper balance between comprehension and interest within children's books, especially at this targeted demographic. I'm glad this one seems to have gotten it right. Thanks for the review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thank you for the comprehensive review which gives a good impression of what to expect from the book. Kids can learn a lot of life lessons through story.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

To me, kids books are successful if they have interesting illustrations and the writing is on point for the target audience. Sounds like this book meets both criteria. Glad you found so much merit in this book :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a really cute story. I identify with Billy already. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Children's Books”