Official Review: nine ways to empower tweens with emma an...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: nine ways to empower tweens with emma an...

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "nine ways to empower tweens with emma and elliot" by Kathleen Boucher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nine Ways to Empower Tweens with Emma and Elliot by Kathleen Boucher is a nonfiction book that teaches valuable life skills to children who are 10-12 years old.

Emma and Elliot are twins sharing their tips about succeeding in life. From anger management to having a good work ethic to positive self-talk, there is a lot of valuable information in this book. Any tween can certainly benefit from the advice given. There are also catchy phrases like, “Be prepared so you won't be scared” and “You learn more from your mistakes than from all your successes”.

Elliot and Emma both narrate different sections of the book. Each chapter switches speakers, but the author does a good job making it easy to follow who is speaking. It would have been nicer if something actually distinguished one character from the other, but I suppose simply having a boy and a girl taking turns speaking helps tweens of either gender relate more to the book.

I really enjoyed reading the nine tips in this book. While the information given is simple enough for tweens to understand, it does not feel dumbed down in any way. There is a lot of great advice that even adults will find helpful. Personally, there are a few things that I learned and plan on putting into practice. I also appreciate that the writing is clear, concise, and well organized. This makes for a quick and easy read with the added benefit of learning.

One thing that I am not certain about is how tweens will react to being given advice by Emma and Elliot. I like the fact that having them as narrators gives the book a conversational tone. However, my concern is that it is not written by actual tweens, but fictional tweens who have all the answers. Some children may feel like they are being talked down to because the advice is actually coming from an adult in the form of two children. I suppose it depends on who reads the book and their personality. If they are willing to take advice easily, they probably will not have a problem with the presentation.

All in all, the author did a great job. This book is very well written and full of great advice. That is why it has earned 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who has a willing mind can learn something from this book whether they are a child or an adult.

nine ways to empower tweens with emma and elliot
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
kathleenboucher
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kathleenboucher »

Thank you for a wonderful review Rachelamb 1.
Kathleen Boucher
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you for writing such a positive book!
kathleenboucher

My pleasure. Now I just have to get into schools and libraries for those kids who can't afford to buy it.
Take care.
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Yes that would be a wonderful! I'm sure so many kids would benefit from that!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review. It sounds like the book is full of good, practical advice for tweens and teens.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kathleenboucher

Hi bookowlie. I believe it does have some good advice. All the best,
Kathleen

Return to “Children's Books”