Official Review: The Island of Camig by Brenda Munitich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: The Island of Camig by Brenda Munitich

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Island of Camig" by Brenda Munitich.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Island of Camig by Brenda Munitich is a fantasy story for children.

After getting into a fight near the circus, Ivor and Thanjana find themselves thrust into a magical world where they must put aside their differences and work together to get back home. Much like a circus itself, the Island of Camig is full of all kinds of strangeness. There are clowns that speak in riddles, Chess playing kings that are always fighting, a peaceful city with robots and cameras that watch their every move, and much more. They are given some simple directions on how to get back home, all they have to do is cross the island. However, crossing it is not as easy as it seems for there is danger everywhere.

While the story is geared toward Africa, it carries a message that a child in any country could relate to. The message is one of love, friendship, and peace. I like the way the author incorporates this message through riddles and problem solving. I think it is something that children will enjoy because it is interactive.

There are a few areas I feel should have been explained better. For instance, when the boys suddenly find themselves in Camig, it took me a while to realize that they were no longer in their own world. This is due to the fact that the setting is not described very much and the boys’ reactions do not seem very realistic for their situation. There are some other areas as well where the description was lacking.

The book is fast paced and a lot happens in a short span of time. I think some areas are a little rushed, but it is a good pace for children who get bored easily. There is plenty of action to keep their attention.

I wish the characters had been better developed. Although they have different stories and backgrounds, they don't seem to have much of a personality. The way they speak and think does not quite capture who they are. Personally, I dislike internal dialogue that is more than an occasional sentence or two. I would much rather know what a character is thinking by what they say or do. That is not to say the author went overboard with the internal dialogue, just that it would have been better with less.

My rating for The Island of Camig is 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, it is a cute story with a great message. I do not think most children would notice the things I mentioned about the internal dialogue or descriptions so it would not hinder their enjoyment. It is also a book children of any culture would enjoy, especially those who love riddles. One thing I will note is that the book’s age level is listed as 10-15, but I think it is much better suited for the 6-9 (possibly 9-12) age range. It is a bit too simple for teens.

The Island of Camig
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Very descriptive review, Rachaelamb1! This book sounds like a cute story for kids, but I agree that more developed characters are always a plus. When characters are a bit dry, it can make the story less enjoyable. However, I'm glad that you feel that the targeted audience would enjoy it!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you! Yes I think the target audience would still enjoy the story. :)
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Seems like an entertaining read for kids. Nice review!
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Well written, balanced review! The interactive format, with riddles and problem solving, sounds like something kids would love. I like that you mentioned that the suitable age level should probably be lower than what was listed. I've noticed this happens a lot with children's books, where the recommended age group will include tweens and teens, even though the subject matter or story is simplistic.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

bookowlie wrote:Well written, balanced review! The interactive format, with riddles and problem solving, sounds like something kids would love. I like that you mentioned that the suitable age level should probably be lower than what was listed. I've noticed this happens a lot with children's books, where the recommended age group will include tweens and teens, even though the subject matter or story is simplistic.
So true! It's important for authors to know their target market so their books can get in the hands of the people who will most appreciate it! Maybe children's books are harder with this because children are all so different in the ways they mature and grow.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a fun read. I like stories that take characters into different dimensions. I agree with you about the characters being better developed even for children's books. Great job on the review.
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thank you! Character development is very important to me :)

Return to “Children's Books”