Official Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thank you for the review. As a lover of all animals I think this would be a great book to read. What a coincidence - I also used to live in Killeen Texas. What a small world
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This seems like a sweet children's story. I love dogs and we did recently get a puppy also. So I really related to this one. He is now 10 months old. He is a Shih Poo so also a Shih Tzu mix. I liked all the photos of the kids with the puppy. I do agree that I wish there was more artwork. It's too bad about the grammar issues. Otherwise this was a good book for kids. Thanks for your review.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review. For some reason, I didn't catch on until now that this is a children's book! I like how it's non-fiction and still seems simple enough for children to understand. :)
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like an enjoyable story for kids about a lovely dog. I love dogs myself, so I'm sure I would get something out of it. A shame the writing didn't always shine - it seems people often neglect the need for quality editing and also constructive criticism / feedback from others. Still sounds like a nice story, though. Thanks for your review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Being a dog lover, I find that I could appreciate the book more and look at the story in an entirely new light. The onlinebookclub review was written masterfully and highlighted the best the book had to offer.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I am a huge lover of Animals. Sounds like an enjoyable story for kids about authors rescue dog named Bear. Love to read this book to my nephew. Congrats
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Being an owner of a Shih-Tzu, I can easily say that they are the most adorable pets with a big heart. The family and dog are a good match. The love they show can assist a dog from feeling unloved. I hope that children reading this book will enjoy it as much as I did.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

Although I am a little too old for this story's targeted audience, I found it very touching. I am an animal person myself and feel that people and animal can better each other as they develop a relationship.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Omg. You got me with only the words rescue dog. I see the picture and the review and loved this book. And the fact that children could easily read it makes it even greater.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I'm sorry to see you say the writing can be flat at times. Such a heartwarming story deserves lively writing, especially since it's a story aimed at kids. Children need colorful writing and speech to be interested in, and stay interested in, books and discussions. Heck, adults do too.

Does it ever explain why Bear is described as spiritual in the title?
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Charine »

I only had a peak at the sample and loved your review as it revealed what the sample has hidden. As most people I adore animals and my children will enjoy this book. However I am not purchasing a copy due to the grammar and tenses that you've picked up.
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
EmilyLovell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EmilyLovell »

This sounds like a sweet story! Less text on the page is always good for storytime. I've also found that children are fascinated with real photos sometimes, especially when the book is based on a real animal, so this could be a great conversation starter. Thanks for sharing!
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. Not sure how I could put this one down. Sounds like a wonderful book.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

Reading the review is enough to make me have interest in reading the book. Although I personally don't like dogs, this book is good for children especially as it shows the transition of the dog from when it was a puppy as it grows. I like how Mr Porter's family shows love and affection to 'Bear'
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Nikki Dewing
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikki-dewing.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Nikki Dewing »

Thank you for the review. I am not a huge fan of pets. They demand too much attention ... that is, if you want to be a good pet owner. As for reading a book like this to children ... I don't think that I will. Children these days are more interested in colorful illustrations and the chance to imagine their own story. This is just my opinion based on the fact that animal stories are not my cup of tea.

Return to “Children's Books”