Official Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
okayode
Currently Reading: Satan and Me and OBE
Bookshelf Size: 110

Re: Official Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

Post by okayode »

A non fiction pet sorry for children... My niece will love to read it. Congratulations on BOD.
Sakeenah143
Favorite Book: From Drift to SHIFT
Currently Reading: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakeenah143.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Sakeenah143 »

If you love animals especially dogs then this one is for you.
This review got me, really nice.
Congrats BOTD
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Your review gives a good feel of what the book is about and the target market :) Not a book for me, but thanks for a great review!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This is a very interesting story about this wonderful dog. I really love such stories. Your review has rekindled my appetite to read this book and I will difinately do so. Thanks for this review.
Fash+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fash+ »

It was truly a sweet story. I could relate, I love dogs so much. I love how it point out about the aging of the dog and I agree about thst dogs are creatures of habit hahaha :lol2: ...Yeah there were grammatical errors but the author use simple texts, it is a children's book so I also agree about adding more artwork. I also want to read my nephew about this sweet story, and he loves books with so much colors around it :roll2: . Thanks for that informative review. I enjoyed reading it, coz I get to relate. :D
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A lovely story! It has a lot to contribute to one who is hoping to adopt a dog. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
SainteD
Favorite Book: Children of Time
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by SainteD »

Sounds like a sweet story that’s great for kids in the under 10 age group. As a dog lover and rescuer, I am particularly pleased that the story includes rescuing a dog rather than buying one from a puppy mill, but that’s an aside. The review is thorough and while the reviewer points out the many strengths of the book, it’s always great to read an honest critique that includes the weaker parts, like the typos, grammatical errors and not enough illustrations.
shubhu2084
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shubhu2084 »

The review is very helpful. The point about it being a kids book but can also be enjoyed by adults due to its cute story makes it easier for parents to make an informed decision.
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. I am not a dog person, but I know that many families love to have a dog as part of their family. This story sounds perfect for children. I have a 10 year-old granddaughter who loves to read to her sister who is 5 and brother who is 2. This seems that it would be perfect for their ages and keep their attention. It would be a benefit to learn more about how rescue animals find good, friendly homes and that as things age, they do change...including people.
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

Based on your review, it seems that this book is an excellent set up for two very important conversations to have with children. First, it is crucial that we teach our children the importance of adoption over pet shop purchase. There are so many dogs living in deplorable conditions and on the surface all kids see are the puppies in the shop window. The second important item for discussion is aging in general. This book sounds like the perfect window into why a dog or even an elderly relative may not be able to play as they were once able. Thank you for the insightful review and for bringing these two key conversational elements to light.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Awesome that this book is almost a version of Marley and Me that is suitable for children. Adopt don't shop is a very important message and it is good for children to grow up with a pet. I like that this book is a true story of a families love and life with their beloved pet.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

What a great review! I love dogs and have rescued one of my own. I love how the author has chosen to share his story in the form of a children's book. This could definitely lead to a great experience in learning and possibly another rescue!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Dogs are precious, and having a book made for them is a precious treasure! I love that it can be read by children or for children. Even as an adult, I might try this one myself. I also love that it has pictures, makes it more adorable! Although it's not on my top ten to-read list, will consider it whenever I have free time. Thanks for the review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Bear seems to be the universal name for all dogs. It's cool how it's about the dog growing up in the family. All my dogs are or have been rescue as well so my nephews and nieces know how high I regard rescues. I'll save this and read it to them.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Lovely review! I adored how Bear bonded with the Porter family throughout the years but I was a bit saddened that Bear started to have accidents around the house due to growing older even though it is inevitable for all living things.

Return to “Children's Books”