Official Review: The War of Words by Amy Neftzger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The War of Words by Amy Neftzger

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The War of Words" by Amy Neftzger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book lives and breathes words! Puns abound in this well-written children's fantasy novel. The War of Words by Amy Neftzger is the third book in the Orphanage of Miracles series, a fact I wasn't aware of at first. Although each book in the series can be read on its own, the books do involve the same central characters throughout. Since I haven't read the previous books in the series, it took me awhile to get into the story. In addition, there is hardly any background to what happened in the previous two books, thing which muddied the waters a bit.

Enter a world where magic is real, words are the real source of power, and truth can make a difference. The book is set in a fantasy realm, and the reader is plunged right into the middle of a conflict against an evil sorcerer. A kingdom is under a spell of confusion, a spell that prevents the people from seeing reality clearly, and only the truth will set it free, literary. A power-mad evil sorcerer is hell-bent on conquering the kingdom, and his weapons of choice are distorted words and shadows fighters. Our young protagonists Kelsey, the youngest officer in the king's army, Nicholas, a young sorcerer in training, and their friends must thwart his evil machinations to save the kingdom from doom. The story follows their quest for truth and freedom.

This is a good book for younger readers. It's got talking animals, a living gargoyle (my favorite character), children protagonists, an evil sorcerer, an enchanted maze, adventures galore, and clash between good and evil. The author takes what could have been a straightforward tale of the fight of good versus evil, and turns it into something more - a lesson in self-discovery and acceptance of the darkness that lives inside us all. There's also an overarching theme of the allure of power and the responsibility that comes with great power.

The story had a slow beginning for me, and I wished it had gone at faster pace in some scenes. The plot gets bogged down at times from an excess of dialogs and repetitions of words. Also some of the characters felt a bit underdeveloped due to lack of sufficient backstory, so I found it difficult to relate to them at first. That aside, I found the synopsis original and creative, and the book was fairly easy to follow along. Although I struggled a bit through the first half, I loved the second part. Everything flowed better in the second half, the plot moved full steam ahead, and I couldn't put the book down. The world-building is fairly good, and it is as intriguing as its occupants. The book is packed with unforgettable characters and moral messages, and the author weaves vivid images and important life lessons into this whimsical tale.

Overall it was a fun read which I enjoyed, so I rate it three out of four stars. Under Amy Neftzger’s deft touch the unbelievable becomes believable. Talking animals, words turned into weapons, a scar showing emotions, all seem perfectly plausible. I enjoyed the clever use in the story of words and puns, and found the whole thing original and refreshing. I would recommend this book for grade school children and young adults. It is fun, quirky, innocent and highly original tale.

The War of Words
View: on Bookshelves

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your insightful review. I am glad the story picked after a slow start. You are on a roll with reading fun children's books lately. :)

Love the first line in the review!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your insightful review. I am glad the story picked after a slow start. You are on a roll with reading fun children's books lately. :)

Love the first line in the review!
Thank you. I am on a roll indeed! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

This book sounds so fun and entertaining! Thank you for the well-written and balanced review! I may have to take a peek at this series myself!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali

Post by gali »

bluemel4 wrote:This book sounds so fun and entertaining! Thank you for the well-written and balanced review! I may have to take a peek at this series myself!
Thank you. It was that indeed. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also enjoyed reading your review! It does sound like a fun read! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the story despite the slow pace towards the beginning and the character underdevelopment. It does sound like a great read for children and young adults.
Well done! :tiphat:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:I also enjoyed reading your review! It does sound like a fun read! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the story despite the slow pace towards the beginning and the character underdevelopment. It does sound like a great read for children and young adults.
Thank you. I enjoyed the book after all. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:I also enjoyed reading your review! It does sound like a fun read! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the story despite the slow pace towards the beginning and the character underdevelopment. It does sound like a great read for children and young adults.
I love when there's a one or two things that could've been improved on in a book, but can still be enjoyable. :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:
I love when there's a one or two things that could've been improved on in a book, but can still be enjoyable. :D
I love it too. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Lovely review! Seems like a enjoyable and fun read!
gali

Post by gali »

ananya92 wrote:Lovely review! Seems like a enjoyable and fun read!
Thank you, and it is. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

greeralexis
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by greeralexis »

Looks like a great book! .... I love the cover BTW :)
gali

Post by gali »

greeralexis wrote:Looks like a great book! .... I love the cover BTW :)
The cover is cool!
A retired Admin/Mod

PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a well written review. Sounds like there are some fun elements in the book, but you mentioned some specific weak points as well. A good, thorough, honest review. Oh, and I'm glad you liked the gargoyle.

:)
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
gali

Post by gali »

PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a well written review. Sounds like there are some fun elements in the book, but you mentioned some specific weak points as well. A good, thorough, honest review. Oh, and I'm glad you liked the gargoyle.

:)
Thank you for your kind words. :)

The gargoyle was cool! 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Children's Books”