Official Review: Ms Abrams Everything Garden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Ms Abrams Everything Garden

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ms Abrams Everything Garden" by Lisa and Samantha Colodny.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ms Abrams Everything Garden is a children's book written by Lisa and Samantha Colodny, with illustrations by Ashley Scott. This book is told from the perspective of a young girl who has just entered the first grade and doesn't know any of her new classmates. She misses her old teacher, friends, and even her old desk. She struggles with how to make friends in her new class.

Ms. Abrams is the girl's new teacher. Shortly into the school year, Ms. Abrams announces that the entire class will be participating in a class project for the next few months. They will be responsible for planting and maintaining a garden full of vegetables and flowers. The children must work together in different areas of the garden in small groups that are mixed up every week. The girl learns how to care for a garden with her classmates as they also learn more about each other every week. By the end of the project, the class has been transformed from mostly strangers into a tightly knit community.

It wasn't until I started writing this review that I realized the girl in this story is never named. The authors give details about every other kid in the class, names included, so I thought this was an odd choice. After some reflection, I think this was done purposefully with the intention of it being easier for young readers to put themselves in the shoes of the girl. Using the pronouns 'I' and 'we' instead of using a specific name just goes that much further to help children see things from the girl's point of view.

I appreciate how this book deals with the negative emotions of apprehension and fear and talks about how to cope with them. Learning to be in a new environment and making new friends is something everyone deals with. Teaching that these emotions can be overcome with patience and being open to new experiences is such an important lesson for kids just entering school to understand. This book gets that message across very nicely. The illustrations nicely reflect the action that is happening in the story without being distracting.

My only negative comments about this book are that it seemed a little longer than necessary and there were a couple of grammatical issues. The biggest problem with this book is the inconsistency in punctuation of the title. The cover of this book has the title written as Ms. Abrams' Everything Garden, while the title page says Ms Abrams' Everything Garden, and the title on Online Book Club and Amazon is listed as Ms Abrams Everything Garden. Needless to say, it's a bit confusing why there are three variations for the title.

I tested the age range for this book by reading it to my rising kindergartener. I thought the book may be a bit out of her range, but because it deals with a topic that she will be experiencing in a few months, I gave it a try anyway. She absolutely loved it and asked me to read it again the next night. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and think this is a great book to read to children going into kindergarten through second grade.

Ms Abrams Everything Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lcolodny
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lcolodny »

Thanks very much for the review. You were spot on for my decision not to name the main character. The editor did suggest I name the character but I decided not to for the reason you mentioned. Very glad your child enjoyed the story.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Great review, ashley_claire. Congratulations to Lisa and Samantha. As to your confusions regarding Ms and Ms, I think I can clear it a little for you, ashley_claire. In British English, it is usually written as Ms. American English requires Ms. with a dot. But it should be consistent throughout the book, of course.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Lcolodny

Post by Lcolodny »

Thanks chytach-18 for the clarification. Honestly, I'm thrilled that the biggest critique is the punctuation. I'm surprised the editor didn't catch the inconsistency. I really hadn't noticed and I've read it many, many times. Thanks again, I'll certainly be more aware with my next one!
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Lcolodny wrote:Thanks very much for the review. You were spot on for my decision not to name the main character. The editor did suggest I name the character but I decided not to for the reason you mentioned. Very glad your child enjoyed the story.
I really enjoyed reading your book! I'm sure it was a great experience to be able to do it with your daughter.

-- 13 Mar 2016, 08:37 --
chytach18- wrote:Great review, ashley_claire. Congratulations to Lisa and Samantha. As to your confusions regarding Ms and Ms, I think I can clear it a little for you, ashley_claire. In British English, it is usually written as Ms. American English requires Ms. with a dot. But it should be consistent throughout the book, of course.
Thanks! That's definitely useful information to know for the future.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I love the book already. It reminds me of Little Men by Louisa May Alcott. Great job on the review and congratulations to Lisa and Samantha Colodny for such an obviously endearing book.
Lcolodny

Post by Lcolodny »

Kimmyschemy06, I appreciate your kind thoughts! Thanks very much for taking the time for feedback.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The book sounds like a winner for the specified age group. Younger kids always love reading about children in a school setting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Lcolodny

Post by Lcolodny »

Bookie lie, thanks!!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

This sounds like a sweet children's book. I have a first grader who loves a good bedtime story and this sounds right up her alley!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Lcolodny

Post by Lcolodny »

Shelley, please let me know how your child perceives the book. Thanks for the feedback!
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Good review! What a brilliant idea to test the book out on your own child. Congrats to the authors and the illustrator.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

peprica21 wrote:Good review! What a brilliant idea to test the book out on your own child. Congrats to the authors and the illustrator.
Thank you, she definitely enjoyed "helping" mommy!
Lcolodny

Post by Lcolodny »

Yes, awesome idea! Thanks again

Return to “Children's Books”