Official Review: The Bigfoot Paradox by Rebecca Coyte

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Bigfoot Paradox by Rebecca Coyte

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bigfoot Paradox" by Rebecca Coyte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bigfoot Paradox is an enchanting children’s book written by Rebecca Coyte. As its name implies, the book revolves around the existence, or lack thereof, of Bigfoot. It is also a great coming of age story about a boy looking for Bigfoots and finding more besides. This is the first installment in "The Bigfoot Paradox" series, and the author is now working on her next book.

So what if Bigfoot (also known as Sasquatch) was real? What would we do if we did discover Sasquatch? What would Sasquatch do?? These are some of the questions this book raises as we follow one boy's quest for answers.

Bigfoots are alive and kicking in Onion Weed, or are they? Welcome to Onion Weed, Tennessee, population 839, where rumors of allusive, unknown beast roaming the woods abound, and hunters prowl. Things are getting rather weird in this quiet town, well more than usual, and there are some sightings of the beast in the woods. While the scientific community debates the existence of such a creature, Bigfoot hunters have no such qualms. Soon overzealous hunters are descending upon the peaceful town wanting "to bag a body". The most prominent among them is one Billy Matrix, the self-proclaimed authority on the "North American Bipedal Great Ape". He has assembled his own team of experts, and even has his own popular radio show about it, no less!

Meet 12 year-old J.T. Meeks, a shy, unpopular kid dreaming about Bigfoot, adventures, and glory. The reward offered for any proof of Bigfoot wouldn't hurt either. His father took off a couple of years ago, leaving J.T and his family (mom and an older brother) to fend for themselves. J.T's family had many encounters with Bigfoots in the past, or so they claimed, and J.T became fascinated with the mystical creatures. A chance encounter in the woods with Billy and his motley crew got him drafted into the expedition. The other members of the crew beside Billy are: El Guapo, a friendly spiritual hippie, Bob Roberts, a vicious hunter and loose cannon, the skeptic anthropologist Stacey, and the psychic Carissa. The more J.t learns about the Sasquatch, the more he wants to protect them. As the quest spirals out of control, J.t discovers the truth behind the lore, uncovers his true destiny, and learns important life lessons about compassion and kindness along the way.

This is a touching tale of friendships and legends. The author has seamlessly woven themes of fallible human nature, right and wrong, friendships, and respecting other species. Another is that there are more things in heaven and earth than we dreamt of. I liked it that the author painted Bigfoot as somewhat laid back and harmless, contrary to other stories afoot, and also included an original answer to how Sasquatch can remain undetected for so long. Sasquatch is cool guys!

The book is penned in the third person from multiple perspectives, and has a natural, flowing style. The author has kept the writing style simple for young readers to follow, painting a delightful picture of Bigfoot. Alas, one thing that bothered me about the story was that one of the characters got away with a serious crime, not a good message for kids in my view. On the other hand it did fit the storyline well. The story moves at a rather moderate pace, a tad slow at times, and there is no much action till the second half of the book.

For all my reservations, I must say I greatly enjoyed this novel. The book wraps up well, and all the loose ends were tied up very neatly. The author did a wonderful job of developing his characters and providing backstories when applicable. The colorful assortment of supporting characters kept the book fun and engaging. All in all an imaginative and entertaining read, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is suited for middle grade readers and up, and adults with a young heart would also enjoy this book. I would recommend this book to any Sasquatch lover looking for a refreshing story.

The Bigfoot Paradox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! The premise sounds like something that would appeal to children and tweens. You made a good point about a character getting away with a crime not being a good message for kids. Congrats to the author on receiving a top-notch review!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, insightful review! The premise sounds like something that would appeal to children and tweens. You made a good point about a character getting away with a crime not being a good message for kids. Congrats to the author on receiving a top-notch review!
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Great, informative review! It seems like this story has lots of life-lessons for young readers. Even though this book is for younger readers, it seems like a book that would be an interesting read for anyone interested in Bigfoot. Congratulations to the author for a really good idea for a story.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very interesting review, gali. The book seems to fit both children's books and fantasy genre. The themes touched in the book are also interesting.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you Amheiser & chytach18-. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

This sounds like a fascinating and fun book. Thanks for the great review. I often talk to other moms who want to find something engaging for their tween boys to read. I will definitely recommend this book to them.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
gali

Post by gali »

Shelle wrote:This sounds like a fascinating and fun book. Thanks for the great review. I often talk to other moms who want to find something engaging for their tween boys to read. I will definitely recommend this book to them.
It is. Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What a sweet and fun read! I like how the main character, J.T., was shy and unpopular, then learns a lot more than what he first thought of when he began bigfoot hunting. Also, I like how the author was able to weave in morals throughout and that Sasquatch is more laid back. It's good to know that young readers would be able to follow the storyline easily enough. Too bad about the slow-paced parts and that there wasn't much action, but it's good to know that the story was still enjoyable! Thank you for another great review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review like always, gali! It seems like a sweet story and a good find for kids!
Thank you, and it is. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a well written review. Sounds like a cool book with quite an original story. Congratulations to the author.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
gali

Post by gali »

PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a well written review. Sounds like a cool book with quite an original story. Congratulations to the author.
A retired Admin/Mod

LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

As always, you've given us a fantastic review! I think my son might enjoy this book (and perhaps I would, too).
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali

Post by gali »

LivreAmour217 wrote:As always, you've given us a fantastic review! I think my son might enjoy this book (and perhaps I would, too).
A retired Admin/Mod

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book not only for kids but for adults as well. I like books about friendship and adventure and this book seems like one off those. Great review. Congratulations to Rebecca Coyte for such a well-written book.

Return to “Children's Books”