My Favorite Children's Classic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbieLu
Favorite Author: C.S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Thirteenth Tale
Bookshelf Size: 27

My Favorite Children's Classic

Post by AbbieLu »

If I had to choose one children's book or series to pass on, and only one :( I would choose The complete collection of Winnie the Pooh stories and poems. These charming works are so fantastically brilliant, I can’t get enough of them. The relate-able fun characters are brought together magically in these wonderful tales and poems. I bet we all know a person or two who resembles an Eeyore, Tigger, or Rabbit, etc. Each clever little story is brought to us via the imagination of Christopher Robin, and A.A. Milne of course. It's witty, warm, and friendly and I could read them again and again.
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

I also love Winnie the Pooh. I loved it as a child and now am reading them to my young children. I think you are right about the characters feeling so realistic. I received a poster from my grandmother, which I believe started my love for Winnie the Pooh. Who wouldn't love a cuddly bear, anyways?
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Little House on the Prarie and The Chronicles of Narnia would be my top two to pass on. Anne of Avonlea as well! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
book-of-mermaphants
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by book-of-mermaphants »

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak was my favorite bedtime story. Every child should have this book read to them. I still read it even though I'm in my teenage years. It has a great, creative story line, a wonderful moral, and beautiful illustrations.
dhoffman6035

Post by dhoffman6035 »

Have to say that the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series we're my favorite in elementary school.
laurelise
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurelise.html

Post by laurelise »

When I was eight, I read Little Women... and then plowed through as many of Alcott's books as I could get my hands on. I especially loved An Old-Fashioned Girl at the time, though I was disappointed by it when I reread it as an adult.

At nine or ten, I did the same thing with Lucy Maud Montgomery after reading Anne of Green Gables. I have to say, the Emily books (Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs, Emily's Quest) hold up really well on rereading. They're darker than the Anne books, but more sophisticated somehow.

I also adored British author Noel Streatfield's Ballet Shoes when I was seven or eight, and was thrilled when I found other "Shoes" books in the library when I was twelve or so, even though I was a little too old for them then. My copy of Ballet Shoes is one of the few books from childhood that I took with me to college, and it's been with me every since, even though it's been read so many times that the cover is falling off.
syofi
Currently Reading: Pride & Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syofi.html

Post by syofi »

I also like a children's book, though at this time I am old but I still like to watch children's story

-- 20 Jan 2016, 14:02 --

I remember as a child, I read a children's book: cinderella, sleeping beauty, as an adult I also love to read detective stories like Sherlock Holmes and Mr. Poirot
Chee2215
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Chee2215 »

Anything by Judy Blum. I grew up with Superfudge, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Freckle Juice. Adolescence brought Are You There God It's Me Margaret and the Summer Sisters in adult hood. As an author she has transcended age groups and is a large reason for my love of books.
Jess96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess96.html

Post by Jess96 »

The Chronicles of Narnia! I think it's good for kids to have a healthy dose of fantasy because the strangeness of it makes the really important things like truth and hope stand out even more. Plus it's kick-butt awesome!

Also, I read all of the Hank the Cowdog books in elementary school, but I'm not sure whether they were actually good enough to pass on or if I just had a strange obsession with them.
dgood-33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgood-33.html

Post by dgood-33 »

The mouse and the motorcycle by Beverly Clearly. Love this book. It has great characters and a great plot. Plus the message is very good to. 5/5 rating LOVE IT!!!
greeralexis
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by greeralexis »

There is something so magically about description of hot chocolate being served on a full speed train to the north pole. The polar express is more than a children's book. Is those moments in your childhood where time stood still. It was officially the start of Christmas. And as I grow older, I thrive to write with the same magic.
nitebyrd44
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nitebyrd44.html
Latest Review: "Raw Food Diet For Beginners" by Ross Contreras

Post by nitebyrd44 »

I agree; one of my goals last year was to find a hot chocolate recipe that tasted just like the description in The Polar Express!
This book tapped into my love of the "magic" of Christmas, especially when the boy finds the box under the tree that contains the bell.
Latest Review: "Raw Food Diet For Beginners" by Ross Contreras
JennyKp
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by JennyKp »

I love The tiger who came to tea and The Mog cat books.
I read them all to my children and now enjoy them with my granddaughter.
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

I liked the Magic Tree house series when I was younger.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye. My mom used to read it to me whenever I was sick and it is my favorite book from childhood. It was so important to me that I tracked down my own copy with the original illustrations at a rare book store while on vacation several years ago.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Return to “Children's Books”