What was your favorite bedtime story?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zeenada
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeenada.html

Re: What was your favorite bedtime story?

Post by Zeenada »

chloe_miller_x wrote:I used to adore Enid Blyton's work, especially the Magic Faraway Tree series and the Wishing Chair series. My grandmother used to read them to me when I stayed at her house, and I cannot wait for my little girl to be old enough to listen to them so I can experience the magic all over again =)
The Magic Faraway Tree was my favourite too! My parents used to read it to me every night for probably about a year. The pictures in it were so beautiful and it's got THE old book smell.

I also inherited a Little Mermaid book from my older cousin which had sound buttons on the side which I was able to return to her now that her new babies have arrived.
MarinaY
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the sorcer's stone
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by MarinaY »

Goodnight Moon! So sad I lost the copy my parents gave me
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I have really fond memories of reading the Little House on the Prairie series with my parents every night before bed. We read them over and over.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Vilma
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives

Post by Vilma »

My favorite bed time story is a collection of Aesop's fables by Deborah Campbell Todd. I like how the moral lessons are being taught through the stories. The moral lessons are not just for children but for adults as well
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

My favorite bedtime story was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. I enjoyed a lot of stories as a child. I was also a fan of Seasme Street books too.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Robbie_38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Robbie_38 »

My favorite book was the moon in my room I now read that to my boys when they go to bed
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

I wanted my parents to read Goodnight Moon to me over and over again.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I always wanted my mom to read my copy of The Little Mermaid to me. I have a copy of it that is about 100 pages with a good 50 words (or more) on each page, so it wasn't a quick read and she rarely obliged to reading the entire book.

The Little Mermaid was the first movie I remember seeing in theaters so I have always held it in a special place in my heart. I still have the book and I use it when I teach literacy narratives to my students (college composition). I think it also says a lot about my fascination with reading--I have always been a voracious reader and this book is probably one of the reasons why.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I don't have any as I wasn't read to as a child. I intend to change that with my kid.
Laceyadams
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laceyadams.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Laceyadams »

Oh, I didn't have bedtime stories. I came from a family that couldn't even afford to feed. Books was a luxury so when I was in primary 3, I discovered I could go to the library and borrow books. A whole new world was opened on to me. I read voraciously. The librarian had to tell me he wanted to close. I did my chores with the speed of lightening so I could go back to my book. The Princess fairy tales held a lot of appeal. And the. Mills and Boon,Agatha Christie, James hardly chase came. Oh, and the African authors, Chimamanda, flora nwapa,I read them all. Still looking to get more if possible. Sigh...
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

When I have kids, their favorite bedtime story Will be Pete the Cat 🐱! This will not be up for negotiation!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I read Harry The Dirty Dog, Bad Little Monkeys, and The Pokey Little Puppy. My daughter always wanted me to read and read at bedtime.
LoveBear2122

Post by LoveBear2122 »

The three little pigs was one of my favorites when I was little it was so funny and cute as I saw the colorful pictures of them made me happy as I giggled at there fun actions.
Ashleyreedy1

Post by Ashleyreedy1 »

My favorite bedtime story was the little red hen this is a story about a hen and her chicks. One day the hen fund grain and wants to make bread but none of her friends help her so when it's finished she eats it just with her chicks. This story teaches fairness to younger children.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I loved Goodnight Moon. It was probably one of the first books I could "read" by reciting it back to my mom.

Return to “Children's Books”