What was your favorite bedtime story?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Re: What was your favorite bedtime story?

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

When I was little I had this big book with multiple fairy tales in it and it was my favourite book. I still actually have it and I hope to read it to my kids some day. I loved fairy tales as a kid. I liked the classics the best, as my brother used to read them to me throughout the day when he had a day off from school. I think his goal was to freak me out into listening to him and being a good little girl. It didnt really work out as he planned but I did enjoy the stories.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Jessa24
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... gonsong</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Voices
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessa24.html

Post by Jessa24 »

My dad used to read to me every night. I had lots of favorites but my all time favorite was The Dark at the Top of the Stairs by Sam McBratney and Ivan Bates. It scared me for a number of years but when I was old enough to realize it was just a kitty at the top of the stairs I loved it.
onegoodbook_blog
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by onegoodbook_blog »

Robinson Crusoe was my favorite bedtime story. Mom read it to us before we were able to read it ourselves. I loved to read about how a man survived for so long against all odds. I also loved Charlotte's Web.
La Vie en Rose
Currently Reading: I, My Ancestor
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by La Vie en Rose »

Little Red Riding Hood
ReadingMomof4
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingmomof4.html

Post by ReadingMomof4 »

One of my most memorable bed time stories is, Love you Forever by Robert Munsch. I also enjoy reading it to my children. I used to think the book got a little strange as the boy grew older but, I heard the story behind the book and I understood it. The book is based off of a poem that the author wrote after he and his wife suffered the loss of two babies. I think the meaning behind the book is about an unconditional love that a parent feels for their child no matter the age.
Tenderheart21

Post by Tenderheart21 »

Frog and Toad for me and my Grandchildren All Love Chica-A-Chica Bom Bom
I read it to them in a sign song voice and they want to hear it over and over
K R Freeman
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by K R Freeman »

Hi everybody

We had five kids in my family and our mother was divorced and worked a lot of the time. But when she had time she would read to us from a big book of classic fairy tales like Little Red Riding Hood, Princess and the Pea, Rumpelstiltskin, The Little Engine That Could, Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, Three Little Pigs, and Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Sometimes she would read from Dr. Seuss books, Green Eggs and Ham was my favorite Seuss book. I enjoyed all of these stories like most of you, but my all time favorite bedtime story is 'Twas The Night Before Christmas. I still love that story to this day, it's not quite Christmas without that story being read at least once. It's best if read at bed time, but for the full effect, to feel the magical touch the story brings it HAS to be read on Christmas Eve right before bed. That's why I think 'Twas The Night Before Christmas is the best bedtime story ever written!

K. R. Freeman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

klbradley wrote:I had an old book when I was young, and I remember it was completely falling apart. It was called Caps for Sale although I have no idea who the author is. I would love to find that one again for my son. I'm not sure what I liked so much about it, but it was the only one I would request.

Is it this one? We used to have this one. My kids loved it.

https://www.amazon.com/Caps-Sale-Peddle ... 0064431436
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Moorely

Post by Moorely »

My favourite was Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Liked a girl with spunk.
Girl2Mom
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girl2mom.html

Post by Girl2Mom »

My kids are into the Llama Llama books. So it does not matter what time of day it is - they enjoy those!
TMR-Virtual Oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmr-virtual-oracle.html

Post by TMR-Virtual Oracle »

My favorite book as a child was the "Best in Children's Books" by Nelson Doubleday Inc. and my favorite bedtime stories, that I had read to me were Snow White and Red Rose, by Jacom and Wilhelm Grimm and The Little Fellow, by Marguerite Henry. I still have the book today, and I remember reading these stories to my daughter, when she was younger. It is amazing that this book has a copyright date from 1960 and it is still in really good shape. Maybe one day if I am lucky, I will be able to read this book to my grandchildren.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I am way too old to remember what I enjoyed as a young child. But my favorite bedtime book to read to my kids was "Good Night Moon". We read together all the time during the day. But at bedtime I would retell a favorite story followed by lullabies.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I enjoyed Goodnight Moon when I was little.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
K8Tea
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by K8Tea »

I loved anything by Bill Martin, Jr. My son always wanted me to read Brown bear, Brown Bear, Wht Do You See?
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The one I used to read to my youngest was 'Three Little Pigs' I found it enjoyable to read especially the part 'then i'll huff and i'll puff and i'll blow your house down', and my youngest (all of my kids actually) loved it :)

Return to “Children's Books”