Review of A New Day

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of A New Day

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A New Day" by Angela Kendall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The first day of kindergarten is notable for both children and parents. A New Day: Kindergarten Is Here! by Angela Kendall is a children's picture book that shows the preparation and anticipation of the first day of kindergarten for a little girl and how it affects her family.

In the center of the plot of this book is not only a girl who starts kindergarten but also her whole family. The entire family is preparing for her first day of kindergarten, and everyone is equally excited but also nervous. The author describes every part of preparing for kindergarten, from the night routine to the following day and the drive to the kindergarten itself. The parents are worried about whether everything will go well, how she will adapt to her new environment, and whether she will like kindergarten. How will her first day in kindergarten go, and what will she do? Read this book and find out.

This charming story depicts entering a new era of life for both the child and the parents. Parents are separated for the first time from their child, and the child steps out into the world independently for the first time and gets to know new people and a new environment. This can be stressful for the whole family; the author shows that very well. What I really like is the melodious way in which the author tells the story. The text is lyrical, catchy, and full of rhymes. Also, the illustrations adequately depict each described event, and children can easily follow everything that happens in the story in the pictures. In addition, I appreciate the encouraging tone that permeates the story. The author emphasizes that going to kindergarten for the first time is nothing scary and that it is just a new step that leads to something new, beautiful, and exciting.

On the other hand, there is not much in the book that I would define as negative. However, I think the text could have been arranged differently, considering that it was written as a poem. Quite a few words are unnecessarily capitalized, but I justify this with poetic freedom. The same applies to the use of punctuation marks. I could not precisely list the above as objective errors because of the manner and style in which this book was written. This is precisely why I would have liked the text to have been organized differently, for example, by stanzas. Therefore, I must emphasize that the book appears to be without errors.

Overall, I give the book 4 out of 5 stars. The rating is not perfect due to the already mentioned reasons. I would recommend it primarily to children who are just starting kindergarten and their parents. This book could help them at least calm a little nervousness and anxiety they may have.

A New Day
View: on Bookshelves
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

The first day if school is always exciting for kids as they can't wait to engage and learn. This book is a good read for children, lovely review.

Return to “Children's Books”