Review of The Moon Is Following Us

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Review of The Moon Is Following Us

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Moon Is Following Us" by Patrick Foley/Ruth Hargiss.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sam and her family are on their way to her Grandma’s Halloween party when they notice a full moon. It seems like a special treat to have a full moon on Halloween. Later on, after the car makes a turn, Sam notices that the moon has now moved, but it’s still with them. Even further down the road, Sam sees the moon is yet again following them. Will it stop? What happens when they arrive at the party? Read The Moon Is Following Us by Patrick Foley/Ruth Hargiss to find out.

I liked the simplistic language that was used in this book. It was easy to read and understand. Seeing the moon appear to follow you around like that is something that many children notice and question. I think lots of kids would relate to that. It was also exceptionally well-edited. The artwork appears to have been digitally created, and the pages oscillated between colorful and black and white. I liked this contrast.

A downside of the book was that some of the illustrations seemed amateur, though some were very well done. For me, the biggest issue is that the story lacks depth. I realize that it’s a children’s book, but it didn’t even seem to have a plot. There was never a conflict that needed to be resolved. There was no lesson to be learned or wisdom to be gained. There wasn’t even a basic scientific explanation for why it looks like the moon is following you. All of that made the book feel lacking.

I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars. It was not the worst book, but there didn’t seem to be an actual story. Without conflict and resolution, it felt incomplete. This lack of completion made it unsatisfying to read.

I think children who are interested in the moon or science might enjoy this book. The book also references Halloween and trick-or-treating, so if that is something your family does not participate in, this book might not be the best fit for you. Check out The Moon Is Following Us by Patrick Foley/Ruth Hargiss.

The Moon Is Following Us
View: on Bookshelves
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

When I started reading the summary, I know it was a children’s book. Although children’s book are meant to be simple so they can easily capture the story, it shouldn’t lack depth. I do love the storyline though.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Children love the moon. Even adults like me love to see it. A full moon on Halloween sounds great and enjoyable. So bright at night. I hope that Sam had a beautiful Halloween night. Your review is honest!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
IVELISSE Nieves Ortiz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by IVELISSE Nieves Ortiz »

I believe that children books should be simple for them to read and to learn about moon and all the space

Return to “Children's Books”