Review of How to Solve the Mystery of Crying

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of How to Solve the Mystery of Crying

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Solve the Mystery of Crying" by Charly Froh.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Novo the Space Robot: How to Solve the Mystery of Crying by Charly Froh, Novo, a space robot from Planet Infinita, was seen shopping at the Martian market. Amongst the things he got at the market were a majestic moondust for his beloved venus-bot flowers and an asteroid chew toy for his zog. On his way back to Infinita, he found that a space storm had started. Sadly, the space storm destroyed his venus-bot flowers and left a disturbing mystery for Novo to solve in its wake. Novo was determined to find answers, even if it meant going outside Infinita. He would need to get the answers before any further irreparable damage occurred.

The book gave off a lot of fun vibes. The author's creativity showed as he created an alternate universe with a solar system and unique characters like Novo's zog and venus-bot flowers. The images were colorful and captured the story well. I loved that human images were included and captured more than one race, allowing for relatable diversity.

The story was a simple one, yet it had a lot of lessons to teach. One of those lessons came from Novo's experience and taught that imperfection was not a weakness but could be a character shaper. The book showed the importance of friends and the power of sharing problems with them. Novo and his Earthling friends proved that sharing a problem was a quick way of getting a solution.

The text of the book was also a powerful educational tool. There were words highlighted that may very well form part of a reader's vocabulary. As earlier said, there was an image of Infinita's solar system. Also, there was the earth's solar system, which could be highly instructive for readers. The text also had other literary elements that added flavor to the storytelling. There was alliteration, as seen in this text: "... my scooter shot from the garage, sped to my side, and skidded to a stop." There was also onomatopoeia, as seen in these: "I jumped on and vroom-vroomed toward Earth."

Novo the Space Robot: How to Solve the Mystery of Crying was easy to read, simple, entertaining, educational, and a highly impactful story. It ticked all the necessary boxes, and I found nothing to dislike. It was exceptionally edited. Therefore, I'd rate it five out of five stars. I'd recommend this book to children readers who enjoy adventures.

How to Solve the Mystery of Crying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
raw reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raw-reviews.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by raw reviews »

It seems like a lovely book! I'm curious to read it! <3
Keria Brown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Keria Brown »

How to Solve the Mystery of Crying: Novo the Space Robot by Charly Froh is a cute and encouraging series about a robot experiencing something new and trying to find out what is happening to them and the meaning behind every experience to share with others.
I cannot say that I have a favorite character because there are many relatable characters in this story that I and others could relate to when we were younger, and now children can. This book shows that you can experience something that others might know, or you can know something that others might not know and share your knowledge with them. I say this because this book shows that while Novo does not know what is happening, the other people who have experienced the same thing can better help understand what is happening and why they are encountering it.
I feel that this story is best suited for children who are young, such as toddlers and elementary school children, who have not yet understood the reason behind many things that they are doing because it can help them understand that what they are experiencing is okay and that they can talk to someone who has already experienced it to help them feel that they are okay and that it is not bad to encounter it.
I am rating this book a 5 out of 5 because the author, Charly Froh, seems to have a good understanding of what children should look for and understand in books to make such a unique and entertaining children’s series with the character Novo. I also feel that if I had had this book when I was younger, I would have had a better understanding of what was occurring before I got older and finally grasped the knowledge that I have now.

Return to “Children's Books”