Review of Emily Finds a Unicorn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Emily Finds a Unicorn

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emily Finds a Unicorn" by Chelsea Chisholm Brosky.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Emily is awoken by a magical noise that only she and her friend, Eric, can hear. They soon discover that the noise is coming from a unicorn, and thereafter they set out to look for her. They will have to make up their minds to look for her everywhere, and if they finally find her, they might be lucky to enjoy a free ride and receive some gifts from her.

Emily Finds a Unicorn is a children's story written by Chelsea Chisholm Brosky and illustrated by Antonella Cammarano. It was an interesting experience following Emily and Eric as they search for Princess Unicorn and eventually getting to know why Emily's parents could not hear the sound from the unicorn or see her.

The storyline is simple yet gripping. I liked the little tension created after the story began. I was curious to know where that noise came from and why Emily was the only person in her family who heard the noise. The language used was vivid and creatively manipulated to keep readers interested.

I appreciated that Brosky used this story to teach children some important lessons even as they enjoyed the story. I liked how she used Emily and Eric's encounters and subsequent adventures to develop the theme of teamwork. No one knows it all. Even when we have an idea about something, we still need to cooperate with others to figure out the best way to bring it to fruition. This is a healthy attitude that children need to develop as they grow up.

Antonella did a great job with the illustrations. They offer children the opportunity to know what the mythical beast called the unicorn looks like. I liked that readers will finish this story satisfactorily without any unanswered questions. It's also great that this storybook was thoroughly edited. I did not find any grammatical errors in it.

I rate this storybook five out of five stars because of the aforementioned positive aspects. There is no reason to rate it lower. Generally speaking, I don't have any negative concerns about this book, even though I don't believe in magic or mythical tales. This storybook is recommended for children between two and nine years old, especially those who don't have issues with such mythical tales as the unicorn.

Emily Finds a Unicorn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kristine Lowder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-lowder.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Kristine Lowder »

Thank you for this thoughtful and thorough review of Emily Finds a Unicorn. I know some 'littluns" who will enjoy it!

Return to “Children's Books”