Review of No Sense Poems Book Two and a Half

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of No Sense Poems Book Two and a Half

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Sense Poems Book Two and a Half" by M. J. Cousins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you have a young reader who adores silly phrases and giggle-inducing poetry? If so, No Sense Poems Book Two and a Half by M.J. Cousins will appeal to your rhyming enthusiast. The book contains original poems addressing a variety of topics. Aside from the quirky nature, the writing boasts valuable lessons and teaching opportunities for kids. Overcoming bullying, expanding young vocabularies, cleaning up after a new puppy, and so much more!

In this charming book of poems, children (and parents!) reap the benefits of M.J. Cousins’ effervescent imagination. The author is obviously an animal lover, as many poems contain a furry friend as the protagonist, including a flying dragon and a studious cat. Anyone with kids knows youngsters are drawn to cuddly pets, and I enjoyed how the animals taught kids about emotions, responsibility, and what it means to be a good friend. One of my favorite examples of this was the compassionate approach the child in the poem took when the baby dragon wallowed in sadness.

The poems were flawless and engaging, but my only dislike about the book was the lack of illustrations. The absence of colorful pictures was disappointing and didn’t reflect the cover, which was bright and inviting. Of course, a picture on every page isn’t necessary, but I was hoping for at least a few that would break up the monotony of continuous text.

The book was exceptionally edited with no spelling or grammatical errors, and I have chosen to give it a rating of four out of five stars. I deducted a star due to the lack of illustrations. A visual of the characters could increase child engagement, especially for those with shorter attention spans. That being said, the poems are lovely—full of imagination and child-appropriate topics that will spark further conversations. I admire the author for her creativity and fun-loving approach to writing for children.

I recommend parents read the poems to youngsters who enjoy quirky characters, catchy rhymes, and silly sentences. Conversely, if illustrations are a must-have for your child, you should skip this one.

No Sense Poems Book Two and a Half
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

This sounds like a lovely book as poetry is an important part of literature. I agree with you on the lack of illustrations. That would make the world of difference in engaging children and encourage them to re-read the book.

Return to “Children's Books”