Review of Julie’s Birthday Party in Canada

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of Julie’s Birthday Party in Canada

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Julie’s Birthday Party in Canada" by Catherine Powell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Julie's Birthday Party in Canada by Catherine Powell is a children's book about celebration and tolerance. It presents the anniversary of a girl on a spring day and her close friendship with her best friends. Also, the book illustrates themes such as friendship, family life, and empathy.

Briefly, the story focuses on the birthday party of Julie Miller, a girl who lives in Ontario, Canada, together with her anthropologist parents. She turns ten years old and is excited that her friends, Kelley Freeman and Lori Lopez, are coming with their families from different countries to celebrate her birthday. Also, the author illustrates several suggestions for the birthday party and its organization.

I liked that the author perfectly reproduced the reality of a birthday anniversary and did not add fantastic and sumptuous elements just for emphasis. For instance, I appreciated that I found the routine of a classic party organization, from buying the cake to watching horror movies and ordering pizza. Also, I liked the artwork of the book and the choice of text formatting, especially the children's illustrations, because I found them suggestive of a children's book.

Another positive aspect of this book was its moral perspective. I loved that Catherine Powell emphasized empathy regardless of the situation and the unconditional help offered to friends. For example, I loved the kindness of Julie and Kelley towards their friend Lori who fell at the skating rink, and I empathized with Lori's pain. Also, I admired Emily's involvement in the preparation of her daughter's birthday party and that she took into account Julie's wishes regarding the choice of cake and the party's guests.

I did not dislike any aspect of this book. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars because I enjoyed its exciting storytelling and easy-to-follow and engaging dialogues. I loved the sign of friendship between the three girls and the parents' involvement in organizing the party. Also, Julie's Birthday Party in Canada was professionally edited. I only discovered two minor errors that did not influence my reading experience.

I recommend this book to children up to ten years old, especially those eager to read a story about friendship and tolerant behavior. It is perfect for those interested in organizing a birthday party but not for those who dislike fast-paced narration. Also, Julie's Birthday Party in Canada is suitable for a large audience because it has no profanity or erotic content.

Julie’s Birthday Party in Canada
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Children's Books”