Review of A Boy Named Joseph

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Review of A Boy Named Joseph

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Boy Named Joseph" by Pastor Gloria Taylor-Boyce.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is often said that humans are insatiable, but sometimes we just want things so badly that they would make us extremely happy if we achieve them. In A Boy Named Joseph, Pastor Gloria Taylor-Boyce tells a story about a boy named Joseph. Joseph was a six-year-old who lived with his parents and his sisters. He was very happy, especially with his dinosaurs which he sometimes played with his friends and sometimes by himself. Something bothered him, though. This was his inability to visit his Nana. His father buys him a tablet so that he can communicate with his Nana. This is not enough, as he wants to see his Nana physically and teach her about dinosaurs. Does Joseph ever get to visit his Nana?

The author of this book is amazing. The way she incorporates lessons and ideas into this short read of 63 pages was superb. The author passed across messages like determination and hope. While several attempts of Joseph to see his grandmother had failed, he still had the determination to find a way to visit her and hoped he would see her soon. The author also skillfully teaches the reader about several kinds of dinosaurs and their features by simply telling us that Joseph was telling his Nana these things.

I loved the way the author narrated the story. As I read the book, I remembered my grandma telling me bedtime stories. The book had several pictures, especially of the dinosaurs, which can keep children intrigued while they read the book. The author provided a link to a site that explained or gave more information on the dinosaurs the author mentioned in the book. I found this to be really thoughtful of her, especially seeing that she also added an activity for the children at the end of the book.

I found nothing to dislike about this book. It contained no errors; it was exceptionally well-edited. The author did a fantastic job. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. My rating is fueled by the fact that I found nothing that did not appeal to me in the book. Hence, I have no reason to deduct a star. Also, the book was very insightful.

I recommend this book to children between the ages of four and ten. Children who love watching cartoons and are fascinated by dinosaurs will also find this an excellent read. I would certainly recommend it to any parent who wishes to read their child a nice book.

A Boy Named Joseph
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mercy Sos
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos.html
Latest Review: Inspector Mage by Aleese Hughes
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Mercy Sos »

Love children books. And I normally read it to my little cousins, so I will definitely add this to my bookshelf. Thanks for the review 👍

Return to “Children's Books”