Review: Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
weoo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Review: Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit

Post by weoo »

Tuck Everlasting is an amazing fiction book written by Natalie Babbit. It talks about a girl named Winnie Foster, who lived in Treegap which had a big wood in the center. The wood was owned by her father, but nobody had ever entered it(as far as they knew). Through the story, Winnie meets a family who always went to the woods and drank from the water fountain in it, which turned out to be a source of immortality. Is immortality a blessing, or a curse? It is indeed, a very nice book which would be an interest to kids from age 10 to 16, and maybe adults, too. It is nicely written and prepared. I think you should read it, and you won't regret it!
Valleygirl1985
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valleygirl1985 »

I've never read the book, but I really enjoyed the movie! I'll give the book a try.
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

This was one of the first books I actually remember reading the other being Bridge to Terabithia. I loved it and still do, I've considered reading it again many times, but there are just so many new ones I can never being myself to start one I already know! I love the movie as well.
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt
Emmers00
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmers00.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Emmers00 »

I would give this book a 3/5. I love this story but I actually like the movie more (they aged the characters up and it was more of a romance than a thought provoking story). Winnie Foster is a sheltered and curious girl in the late 1800's when she wanders far from her estate one day she discovers a family of immortals who will change her life forever. IT is a touching story about growing up and aging gracefully, as well as the meaning of life. to paraphrase "You don't have to live forever, you just have to live." Sex/Nudity-)0/10 Violence- Not that I can rememeber Language-2/10
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I loved this book as a kid. Never saw the movie though
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
abasto123
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abasto123.html

Post by abasto123 »

I loved this movie. I definitely want to read the book just waiting for it to be available at the library in my town. It's always checked out.
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I remember a friend of my mother's talking about how much she loved this book! I really ought to read it sometime.
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

Tuck Everlasting was defintely a great book right up to the end. The ending was not even close to what I wanted it to be but it's a great book nevertheless. I'd give it a 4/5
Btkgarrity
Currently Reading: The Sky is Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btkgarrity.html

Post by Btkgarrity »

I read Tuck Everlasting and saw the movie. The book was a little odd because Winnie and the Tuck boy were dating when Winnie was a lot younger than him. The book was still good and written well like other reviewers have already stated.
Ann_Kram
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ann_Kram »

'Tuck Everlasting' by Natalie Babbit.....NOT a romantic love story. </3

The 2002 film Tuck Everlasting expands on the relationship of Winnie and Tuck. Babbit touches on fatherly love, motherly love, love of adventure, love of nature, love of frogs (Ribbit)......and many more forces that make life worth living. It is a tale of growing up, and growing old. The relationship between Winnie and Tuck will make you swoon, but it means much more.

To sum up...Yay or Neigh? 100% YAY. I want my loved ones to read TE so they can feel the joy that this book gave me. Wonderful for a child, or an avid reader. Every book lover should have this classic under their belt....especially considering it's such an easy read. Which brings me to...

My experience: I read this novella in under a week, for about an hour a day. I live in NYC, I'm 23, and I spend all of my time on the subway reading. When a book makes me cry, I end up desperately trying to hold back tears on a crowded subway. This book did it. Made me weep.
I first read this book in the 6th grade. I was 12, the same age as the main character Winnie. The concepts were new to me, and kept me up at night, swimming in thought. Rereading TE now, the ideas of living forever and imminent death were not as new, so it did not fill me with the confused wonder as it did as a child. It was however a reminder to reflect on these topics, making this book an emotional releasing experience as an adult.

Final Words: With stunning imagery, and an exciting quick plot, I was always eager to reopen TE. It did not drag at all. My only qualm is that it had to end. I miss it already.

Has anyone ever read TE to a child? If so, how young were they and how did the child respond?

-- 03 Jan 2016, 23:51 --
Btkgarrity wrote:I read Tuck Everlasting and saw the movie. The book was a little odd because Winnie and the Tuck boy were dating when Winnie was a lot younger than him. The book was still good and written well like other reviewers have already stated.
* Spoilers *

Hi Btkgarrity! Although Winnie was WAY younger than tuck, I don't define their interactions as dating. It's easy to call the age difference in their puppy-love odd, especially compared to a modern day circumstance, but Tucks request to Winnie to drink the spring water and run away with him was so innocent, I don't think he knew better. This makes me question, even though Tuck was over a hundred years old, does he retain the mentality of a seventeen year old? That's the only way I can justify the fact that Tuck would ever ask Winnie to live forever. Especially since he knows the consequences of eternal life.

What do you think?

-- 06 Jan 2016, 08:29 --

Beware of the spoilers in my above response to Btkgarrity!
I tried to subject the response with "Spoliers", not knowing that a new subject does not appear for a response. I would edit it if I could but I don't think it'll let me after a certain amount of time. Read on with caution!
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

This is my absolute favorite book from my childhood. I've read it over and over and cannot wait until my daughter is old enough to enjoy it. Such a beautiful story with a fantastic cast of characters. It will touch your heart and stay with you forever.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

This book is about more than romantic love. It is about familial love, which is truly everlasting. The beauty in this book is absolutely the ending. When Jesse realizes that Winnie didn’t drink the water, he responds, “Good girl.” As much as he would have loved to have Winnie be young with him forever, he realized that she was able to truly live more as a mortal than he ever had as an immortal. And he was happy for her. The movie gets too bogged down in romantic love which, I think, ruins the entire point of the book.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

One of my required reading back in school.
I remember I loved the story, such an interesting idea- much deeper depths then everlasting life.

Return to “Children's Books”