Ella Enchanted

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chough02
Bookshelf Size: 0

Ella Enchanted

Post by Chough02 »

This is an older children's novel but I remember it was one of my favorites. It has interested characters that bring the story to life. The author is good at creating a world you can get lost in. Its funny at times, scary and thrilling at others but always charming. Such a great read for a preteen. Would definitely recommend this book, a lot better than the movie they made.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Love this book. I was very disappointed with the movie. The book is perfect preteen or teen book.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
wahmrf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wahmrf.html

Post by wahmrf »

Perfect book. Excellent. I adored it. Movie left a lot more to desire.
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I'm so fond of this book, it is definitely one of my favourites. I enjoy the first half of the book a lot more than the second half, but I do like it all. Ella is such a great protagonist and there are so many great characters and relationships. Ella's bond with Mandy and her friendship with Areida are very important to me :D

I have to confess that I have a little soft spot for the film, even though I agree that it was not great, because I was quite young when I first watched it and it was years before I finally got around to reading the book. I still find it a pretty fun film and can separate it from the book pretty well so I don't think about the comparisons that much. The book is definitely superior though!
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas
Mjelmer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjelmer.html

Post by Mjelmer »

I have not read this....do you prefer the movie or the book?
abasto123
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abasto123.html

Post by abasto123 »

I loved the book so much. I also saw the movie but it wasn't all I expected it to be. It was still good though!
HollyMichelle
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollymichelle.html
Reading Device: B00NQGONB2

Post by HollyMichelle »

I loved this book so much as a child! It was extremely underrated, especially given that a movie was made for it. I think this may have been one of my first chapter books (excluding books like Amelia Bedelia and books of that nature). I remember being so shocked when I heard they'd made a movie for it. How exciting! I can't imagine how it must feel as an author to have your work come to life in that way. But I digress, it was a wonderful tale! I loved the magic of the book (often one of my favorite components of a novel).
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Favorite Author: I have more than one
Favorite Book: Also have more than one favorite book.
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsalagi-phoenix.html

Post by Tsalagi_Phoenix »

I love Ella Enchanted. It's one of my favorite books.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

I love this book. The author wrote another book: The Two Princesses Of Bamarre, which is less popular, but still has such interesting characters and a really cool story line. You should check it out!
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
piccolabimba
Currently Reading: The house at the end of Hope Street

Post by piccolabimba »

Ella Enchanted, and its companion, Fairest are great fairy tale retellings! Especially now when so many retellings are coming out, its still one of the best. I picked it up in my library lately and recommended it to a reader, but was a little surprised when I looked up its reading level...upper 5th grade!
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I know that I read the book at some point when I was younger, but the movie definitely struck a deeper chord within me. I might have been too old for the book at that point, because I think I only read it after watching the movie.
suzanneseidel
Currently Reading: Blind Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzanneseidel.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by suzanneseidel »

I watched the movie first and enjoyed it without even knowing there was a book. Then I read the 100 Best Children's Chapter Books (according to Scholastic) and Ella Enchanted was included on the list. Like many of you I believe the book is much, much better than the movie. Ella and Char's romance in the book is just precious.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

We had to read this for our writing class on children's lit in college - I think I like the concept of the book - someone semi cursed to follow others' commands...but I also just didnt find it a particularly memorable book, honestly. Maybe because I identify less with female main characters.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I remember reading this book. I absolutely loved it! It was very difficult for me to put the book down. The plot was very interesting. The author is a genius. This book has also won an award, which is not surprising.
Basya
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Basya »

This book is one of the best fractured fairy tales around. I could not keep it on the shelves in my school library because children were always borrowing it. As with most books, it is so much better than the movie.

Return to “Children's Books”