Too many vampires and wizards?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Too many vampires and wizards?

Post by debbiebee »

I've thought hard about posting this as I want to stress one thing I'm not is a religious freak who thinks reading Harry Potter is the start of the road to hell. Many of my own favourite children's books were about magical realms and supernatural goings on and I have no issues with them. But sometimes I wonder if children's literature has been taken over too much by spells and sorcery. Sometimes if you go into a bookshop and look at the children's section, it's practically impossible to find a book without these elements. I honestly believe that alongside them children should read books set in the real world, where the protagonists don't have any supernatural help solving problems. I'm really sorry if I've bored or offended anyone with these comments.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
kotori
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kotori »

I understand what you are saying, on the other hand pretty much all children's stories from the past contain these elements. If you read the original Grimm fairytales they are chalk full of stories with magic and witches and whatnot and some themes that seem much too scary for kids.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I absolutely agree with you, and that goes for Young Adult novels as well. Pretty much everything in that area talks about vampires or anything else that is supernatural. I think there should just normal topics now because many authors have stressed the vampire, werewolf, and witch subject to the point where it is just plain boring now. We need more normal story lines with good endings. That would really make my day when that starts happening. I appreciate you posting this topic because I think you are right on the money.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

Yeah, basically 9 times out 10, when I browse the YA section, all I see is supernatural/paranormal or dystopian (with a 17-year old heroine in a love triangle taking down the government storyline). LOL!
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
kristnt_
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristnt.html

Post by kristnt_ »

I completely understand what you are saying. But at the same time, I think that the reason for all the magic and sorcery is to give young adults something to beleive in. To younger kids, they mainly read books to escape reality and find another world, away from school and homework following the wild adventures of fighting dragons and learning from the best schools of witchcraft and wizardry (Harry Potter reference). Either way, before the reality of college and living alone and the reality of the real world hits them, they take this time to still be children and embark on epic journeys across different novels to which they have the option to view many different versions of childhood before facing reality.
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

As much as I love fantasy, I have to agree that children's books have been inundated with the supernatural. Don't get me wrong, I read as many of them as I can; but one of my children HATES fantasy, and it gets tough to find things for her that are based in reality. Some suggestions might be Melissa de la Cruz, RJ Palacio, Raina Telgemeier, or Mike Lupica. John Grisham's Theodore Boone series is also fun.
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Hi everyone. I get your concern. Though I love fantasy books, not every kid does, and even us "magic nerds" need to broaden our horizons.

Apart from fantasy, I like historical fiction and mysteries for kids. Here are some of my favorites.

Historical fiction/memoirs: the Little House books (including Farmer Boy), Caddie Woodlawn, A Girl of the Limberlost, The Bronze Bow, and I'm sure there are many others.

Stories about ordinary kids: Many of the ones I'm aware of, were written so many years ago that they are almost historical fiction. But there are the books by Beverly Cleary, which include some for boys like Otis Spofford, Henry Higgins, and Ribsy. For older kids, there are the Henry Reed books, if you can find them. Also, The Chocolate Touch. Written more recently is the Babysitter's Club series, which my sister loved.

Mysteries: I know many people enjoyed The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. I never read those as a kid, but I did love The Three Investigators, which is a slightly updated Hardy Boys, basically. Each book has a mystery that looks like it's going to be supernatural, but always turns out to some kind of crime ring. But I never stopped hoping! :)

Animal stories: Rabbit Hill, Black Beauty, The Wind in the Willows

Also, when I was a kid, there was a series called Illustrated Classics that I absolutely loved.

Sorry this post has gotten kind of long.

Going back to your concern, I think there is a related problem within the fantasy worlds themselves. Sometimes it seems like if you're not a highly trained magical ninja were-Elf or something that, but instead an ordinary human being, then your character has no chance of surviving in the story, AND is hopelessly boring ... the kiss of death!
Narcissa13
Currently Reading: Roadside Geology of Minnesota
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-narcissa13.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Narcissa13 »

Actually I viewed the vampirism and wizardry as literary vehicles the authors can use to develop their characters and the story line. The important part of any book is the action between the characters and the supernatural touches just make the story more fun. Plus its nice to defy the laws of biology and physics and get creative with reality! Escaping from reality sometimes is the good part...
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Narcissa13 wrote:Actually I viewed the vampirism and wizardry as literary vehicles the authors can use to develop their characters and the story line. The important part of any book is the action between the characters and the supernatural touches just make the story more fun. Plus its nice to defy the laws of biology and physics and get creative with reality! Escaping from reality sometimes is the good part...
So true. Although I do prefer it when the magical stuff does not become pedestrian, but keeps it mysterious thrill.
sound_readerrev
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Currently Reading: Cause of Death
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sound-readerrev.html
Latest Review: "Smog City" by Rebecca McNutt
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by sound_readerrev »

I agree with you about the supernatural being overstressed in children's and young adult books, but I also think that such elements are used to spike the imagination of children, really get it going. For example: if you read something about an evil witch, they know that that character is someone bad. But as we get gradually get older, those elements get boring when over-used, that I agree with. And yes, stories based on reality should be written/read to them as well, more so to teens such as myself (I used to always read fantasy, but now I look into the historical fiction and Christian fiction more often).
Latest Review: "Smog City" by Rebecca McNutt
Lust_for_Literature
Currently Reading: A Feast For Crows
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Lust_for_Literature »

I think that children should be allowed to disappear into imaginary realms whenever possible. I know that burying myself in fantastical narratives provided me with a much needed escape and coping mechanism as a child. I think that the plethora and popularity of supernatural children's books is probably tied to the fact that it is often introverted, slightly alienated children who end up becoming the most avid bookworms. Therefore it is the books that provide them with escape, not a reminder, of their day to day lives that ends up dominating their bookshelves. I am by no means saying that all children who read are alienated or introverted, I just think that it's an interesting correlation.
marina3035
Currently Reading: Sweet Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina3035.html

Post by marina3035 »

I loved Harry Potter growing up and still do! But I do get where you're coming from, these magical fantasy books are everywhere now and I do feel like when you read too much of it, you become desensitized towards other things.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

gatorgirl_823 wrote:Yeah, basically 9 times out 10, when I browse the YA section, all I see is supernatural/paranormal or dystopian (with a 17-year old heroine in a love triangle taking down the government storyline). LOL!
I hear you about the dystopian theme! In my opinion, that's been more overdone that the supernatural stuff (which has been around since the beginning of mankind). I realize that fiction is conflict-driven, but just for once can we have a futuristic YA book isn't all doom and gloom?

-- 09 Sep 2015, 13:58 --
Lust_for_Literature wrote:I think that children should be allowed to disappear into imaginary realms whenever possible. I know that burying myself in fantastical narratives provided me with a much needed escape and coping mechanism as a child. I think that the plethora and popularity of supernatural children's books is probably tied to the fact that it is often introverted, slightly alienated children who end up becoming the most avid bookworms. Therefore it is the books that provide them with escape, not a reminder, of their day to day lives that ends up dominating their bookshelves. I am by no means saying that all children who read are alienated or introverted, I just think that it's an interesting correlation.
You make an excellent point here! I was one of those children who used to "escape" into fantasy realms to get away from the less-than-ideal aspects of everyday life.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

Such a interesting theme! :) On one hand, as a reader, I get what you are saying. We are now drowning in the amount of books with paranormal elements. It looks like you can't surpass it when you go to the book store.
But, as a writer who plans to write children's book with magical elements, I have a different answer: it is a matter of magic. Surprise! It is about creating very different world from the reality, giving them countless ways to dream while exploring something that the adults will say: "It doesn't exist." Or "It's not real". Well, to children everything is real, so why not use it and give them something to fantasize?
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
GertrudeH
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gertrudeh.html
Latest Review: "Dreamvision" by S. L. Bynum
Reading Device: B00G2TK76A

Post by GertrudeH »

I can think of a few books for younger readers without the supernatural. The one that springs to mind first is the Boxcar Children. If I am remembering the name right. Incident on Hawks Hill I remember reading in second grade. It was about a boy who gets lost somewhere on the Great Plains ( I think it's been a while) and has to survive with the help of a mother badger.
Latest Review: "Dreamvision" by S. L. Bynum

Return to “Children's Books”