Too many vampires and wizards?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Re: Too many vampires and wizards?

Post by csimmons032 »

Yes, there is absolutely too many vampires and wizards, and futuristic stories now. I feel like every YA adult covers these topics. For once I would like to find a YA novel that has a normal story line without characters that have special powers or are some supernatural creature.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
graciemilligan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by graciemilligan »

It is very interest to read
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

debbiebee wrote: 05 Mar 2015, 05:56 I've thought hard about posting this as I want to stress one thing I'm not is a religious freak who thinks reading Harry Potter is the start of the road to hell. Many of my own favourite children's books were about magical realms and supernatural goings on and I have no issues with them. But sometimes I wonder if children's literature has been taken over too much by spells and sorcery. Sometimes if you go into a bookshop and look at the children's section, it's practically impossible to find a book without these elements. I honestly believe that alongside them children should read books set in the real world, where the protagonists don't have any supernatural help solving problems. I'm really sorry if I've bored or offended anyone with these comments.
I see where you are coming from. I'm on the fence when it comes to this issue. Kids are all about using their imagination and creating their own made up world. I think it would be good for children to read more diverse literature rather than the same old magical adventure stories. Then again, I don't see any harm if a child enjoys reading only books similar to Harry Potter. I think these types of books are the hottest type of book or the mainstream genre right now. Like, in YA books, dystopian novels were huge not too long ago and now the demand for them has died down a little.

Return to “Children's Books”