Review of A Big Blue Boat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Review of A Big Blue Boat

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Big Blue Boat" by Susea Spray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Susea Spray is a literary enthusiast who majored in English and children’s literature. Susea Spray was a teacher for 23 years. She enjoys teaching children and telling them stories, and although she is now retired, you can tell she is still passionate about what she enjoys doing. A Big Blue Boat is her first book, and it has already won a few awards.

A Big Blue Boat revolves around a big blue boat and its brave captain. The book highlights some boat parts and the colors associated with them. The captain sails until she gets to a beautiful bay, where she drops her anchor and goes below deck to rest. At the end of the book, you will find a glossary with the meaning of certain highlighted words in the book.

I enjoyed Spray’s writing manner. It was somewhat poetic but not enough to give young readers a hard time. I like how repetitive this book was because I believe those learning to read would benefit from repeatedly pronouncing the same words and reading the same sentences. I also liked the illustrations in this book because of the stylized look and how colorful they were. I remember considering framing some and hanging them in my room. Children will certainly love these colorful illustrations.

I didn’t hate anything about A Big Blue Boat. Like most children’s books, this book is short, but because of the target audience, I think the length is perfect because it prevents the book from becoming cumbersome. It will certainly help improve their reading skills. Also, I didn’t come across any misused or misspelled words in this book, and I believe that it received exceptional editing from a professional.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I couldn't find any discrepancy while reading it. Everything, from the font of the text to the illustrations, looks super polished and of high quality. I recommend this book to young readers between 3 and 10 years of age. Adults who are learning to read can also use this book to practice.

A Big Blue Boat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I could tell that the book is meant to educate from the summary. I find the cover very adorable and it's a good book for children. I appreciate the many lessons that seem to be encompassed in this book. Children would learn a lot from reading this book. Thanks for the interesting summary.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

A children's book packed with a lot of lessons is all I see here. It should be a great read for a lot of kids.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I definitely love children's book, it helps me connect with my little cousins. I'm definitely adding this to my bookshelves.
Thanks for the review.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

This is an excellent story for children to read. Thank you for your feedback. Such principles, I believe, are also vital and should be imparted to our children.

Return to “Children's Books”